How to cut HSS tool bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a project and I need to install a 1/4 " square HSS tool bit into a boring bar. Normally I use odd bits but only have new 4" long blanks. What is the easiest way to cut off an inch or so. The bit needs to be short enough to go through a small hole to undercut an internal recess. Putting it in a vice and smacking it with a hammer seems a bit brutal :)

Angle grinder with light pressure?

Vice with a sharp edge and a hammer would work fine too, probably be quicker than getting the grinder out and there's no chance of damaging the temper (although there's very little chance with HSS anyway)

Angle grinder, but I find it slow and it wears away a lot of the cutting disc.

Unless I need it to be supper accurate I snap it. If I need more accuracy I score it and then snap it.

You put it in the vice and put a rag over it before giving it a sharp swift hit with a big hammer. Works a treat.

Thanks guys,,,,,

Was just trying to be a bit more elegant but it seems the smacking hammer it is :)

My technique gets harder the larger the bit.

I don't know if I've tried it on something like 1/2" HSS. It works great on the 1/4" bits.

I've used those tiny little cutting discs in a dremel-alike, to make a notch, ready for snapping with a hammer. Worked for me, though I only use thin stuff.

Manav Goel":3l3019s4 said:
My technique gets harder the larger the bit.

I don't know if I've tried it on something like 1/2" HSS. It works great on the 1/4" bits.

I have scored and snapped 1/2" HSS blanks but you need a sturdy vice and a big hammer.

Worth doing though, a cutting disc will score it enough with hardly any wear, cutting through it though will burn up half a disc easily if not more.

Latest posts

Back