How to cut and store green wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominik Pierog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.
My family received lot of wood pieces from my uncle building company. They removed trees after storm. I have 0 experience in turning. So I don't know how to prepare fresh wood.
I'm in process of restoring old lathe and buy equipment for turning.

Paint the ends in a 50/50 pva so they do not dry out to quick and store and stack them in a dry place for 12 months

Not an expert in turning, but I did go on the Windsor chair course and we turned green wood, quite an experience after kilndried timber it was like turning cheese instead of cast-iron. Thoroughly enjoyed it, We turned it to approximately the right shape ( chair legs) and then put them in a dehumider cabinet overnight, And the next day finished off down to size. And I should’ve said that before we did that we used a frow to split the logs to approximate the right size for turning. All very Bodgerish! Great Fun. Ian

Cut the pith from the timber & seal the ends with anything that will reduce moisture lose & depending on the thickness of the wood you will have usable wood in a few years.
A rule of thumb for drying is 1 year per inch thickness of timber but that won’t be long enough to prevent movement, when turning wood that isn’t fully seasoned it’s a good idea to turn the item oversized, then allow it to dry further before turning it to a finished size.

Back