How to create a beech look Whitewash on wooden furniture.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Wood_Basher

Established Member
Reaction score
62109134_369386173936411_6971067203734994944_o.jpg

So I thought I would share my way of creating a whitewash on furniture as it is different to others!

This look is not for everyone and its also not easy to undo should you decide at a later date that you dont like it, so keep that in mind. However it is a good way to give a whole new look to older furniture, you can also hide marks and defects during the process.

What you will need:
Sand paper
Wire brush
Baby wipes
White paint
clear cloat
Painting supplies

The process is actually quite easy, it only has 5 steps. However it does take some time.

Step 1:
Sand the whole piece of furniture, if it already has a varnish then you will need to sand that but not necessarily remove it all. Its important to sand with the grain. At this point you can also make any repairs you feel it needs, feel free to use filler as we can hide this later.

Step2:
The sanding will have closed the pores of the wood and we need to open them back up, Give it a good scrub with a NEW wire brush. Make sure it is new or at least very clean! As with the sanding be sure to brush with the grain. Once this is done, vacuum all the surfaces and then wipe them down with a damp cloth.

Step 3:
Apply the paint to a side or small area to work on, be sure to get plenty on and not to worry too much about the grain. Its most important just to get the whole piece covered. Leave about 10 minutes or until you see the surface start to dry.

Step 4:
This is the part where you create the beech look, so get the baby wipes and start removing paint to reveal the wood underneath. You will see that the paint soaks into the wood more in certain areas and that is ok. Use the brush to bring back the grain of the wood and remove the wipe marks from removing the paint. How you decide to leave the piece at this point is how it will look once finished. Leave to dry overnight

Step 5:
Once dry go over the whole piece with 400 grit sand paper and then a damp cloth. You can now add your clear coat to finish it off. Apply 2 coats if needed.

For the once who prefer to watch a video of this being done I have put one together here: https://youtu.be/crBPdnh9QW8

Whats your take on the effect? have you ever done anything like this?
62076417_369386180603077_5002602920823226368_o.jpg

I'm too old to appreciate this trend. I dont understand the need to make new stuff look worn out.
When I was little, we couldnt afford new furniture and bought stuff like you show from the rag and bone man's cart. From the day we could afford to buy new, you wouldnt be able to give me that kind of finished wood.
Good job we're not all the same.

True! but this wasn't a new piece, it was an old piece which would have other wise been replaced with something from Ikea.

Now I'm even more confused. you took an old piece, and made it look older? =D>

sunnybob":o3xzmhzs said:
Now I'm even more confused. you took an old piece, and made it look older? =D>
Oldest trick in the book, don't try to hide a fault, emphasise it

Its a generation thing. I would have taken it apart and made it again to look new (or as close as I could get it)

I think it turned out nicely.

I would much rather see a piece of furniture re-finished like this than thrown on the scrap.

I guess it's like most trends - sometimes they don't fit convention. E.g. exposed bricks, industrial lighting, polished concrete, rustic/unfinished wooden furniture. All very stylish at the moment, but wouldn't have been considered as acceptable a few years back.

I like whitewashed furniture, but only when in place and styled with the rest of the room...

Back