How to clean up old wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got some old 18th century oak lintals that I want to clean up, they have loads of character and will look great. I've used a wire brush to take off the old dead wood and cleaned as much as I can with a sharpened brush handle and various brushes, but I there is more cleaning to do before I treat it. Is there a best method for getting into all the nooks and crannies? I was thinking compressed air to blow it out or a hoover to suck it out, what about washing it? It's quite delicate so I don't want to damage it and take away the imperfections of the piece.

Thanks, Rob.

You could try power washing it. Start from a couple of feet away and move in as you go to remove stubborn stuff. If you can I would start with a piece that you wouldn't mind ruining. During the last house renovation I did I had to clean off loads of reclaimed oak and used a belt sander with various grits to get the worst off then an angle grinder with a brass wire cup brush for the nooks and crannies. It's hard, dusty work mind you, hence my recommendation to try a power washer.

It'd depend on the depths of the nooks and crannies so a photo or two may help. Wire, nylon then sisal brushes are my go to when looking to achieve or keep an aged look.

Wire wheels on grinders tend to be quite harsh even with finer gauges and it sounds like you have the character already but are looking to tidy it up. Stainless wheels in a drill are good for working on smaller sections where you're looking to take care.

All that said, I'd be very careful if you have oak that's delicate... it's usually a tough old boot to work with!

Stainless wheels in a drill are good for working on smaller sections where you're looking to take care.

Plus 1....

The second pic is the outcome after chiselling out the rotten stuff and using a wire wheel on a drill.

Attachments

• 20210626_143113.jpg
    20210626_143113.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210626_153015.jpg
    20210626_153015.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 95
The second pic is the outcome after chiselling out the rotten stuff and using a wire wheel on a drill.
That's quite an outcome - one garnered from a lot of patience!

Another nice thing about wire wheels in drills is the drills ability to quickly change the direction of rotation - allowing you to work quickly with changing grain direction.

Yep, they are way less aggressive. I have lots of different types ( drill and grinder ) but i rarely want to use the grinder wheels.

Hi, I've got some old 18th century oak lintals that I want to clean up, they have loads of character and will look great. I've used a wire brush to take off the old dead wood and cleaned as much as I can with a sharpened brush handle and various brushes, but I there is more cleaning to do before I treat it. Is there a best method for getting into all the nooks and crannies? I was thinking compressed air to blow it out or a hoover to suck it out, what about washing it? It's quite delicate so I don't want to damage it and take away the imperfections of the piece.

Thanks, Rob.
You say you’re using a sharpened brush handle, paintbrush I presume, never thought to do that!
It makes sense, it’s nice to hold it won’t cause too much damage and even better it’s free!
I’m surprised I’ve never come across it, is it a "thing" or just something you’ve thought of? Ian

I would use 1/3rd pure linseed, 1/3rd meths and 1/3rd pure turpentine to clean it up, it will clean it up without destroying any patina.

You say you’re using a sharpened brush handle, paintbrush I presume, never thought to do that!
It makes sense, it’s nice to hold it won’t cause too much damage and even better it’s free!
I’m surprised I’ve never come across it, is it a "thing" or just something you’ve thought of? Ian
Hi Ian, it was just something that came to mind while I was using a small glue brush to get into the tight bits. Just got some 80 grit paper and sharpened up a point, works great and it's softer wood than the Oak so doesn't damage it 👍.

Thanks, Rob.

I would use 1/3rd pure linseed, 1/3rd meths and 1/3rd pure turpentine to clean it up, it will clean it up without destroying any patina.
Would you just rub that solution on the wood with a cloth to clean it? I have been advised to use a 50/50 mix of Osmo/ Osmo Thinners to treat the wood after the clean up, do you think this will be ok?

Thanks, Rob.

Would you just rub that solution on the wood with a cloth to clean it? I have been advised to use a 50/50 mix of Osmo/ Osmo Thinners to treat the wood after the clean up, do you think this will be ok?

Thanks, Rob.

Thanks, Rob.

yes just use kitchen towel, it won't harm the wood at all, let it soak in a bit and wipe it all off after about 20 minutes or so, you'll probably be surprised at all the dirt that comes off.

It'd depend on the depths of the nooks and crannies so a photo or two may help. Wire, nylon then sisal brushes are my go to when looking to achieve or keep an aged look.

Wire wheels on grinders tend to be quite harsh even with finer gauges and it sounds like you have the character already but are looking to tidy it up. Stainless wheels in a drill are good for working on smaller sections where you're looking to take care.

All that said, I'd be very careful if you have oak that's delicate... it's usually a tough old boot to work with!
Here you go, don't laugh though, it's my 1st attempt at anything like this. I'm hoping it will make a decent shelf or mantle piece on complete.

Thanks

Attachments

• received_336290358221769.jpeg
    received_336290358221769.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 41
  • received_812632232953594.jpeg
    received_812632232953594.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 41
  • received_939972653402033.jpeg
    received_939972653402033.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 41
  • received_555518888813777.jpeg
    received_555518888813777.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 39
  • received_503129110761425.jpeg
    received_503129110761425.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 41
  • received_905039383381055.jpeg
    received_905039383381055.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 41
Not laughing at all - more grimacing - that piece looks to me to be riddled with woodworm - I wouldn't want it anywhere near my work shop never mind house!

BURN IT!

It was, but isn't now. The amount of dead wood knocked of was substantial plus I'll treat it again before finishing it. Personally I think it adds to character, but that's my personal opinion.

Back