how to clean tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
so at the moment i refurbishing a few different tools (pics to come). im trying to find the best why of shifting grime and finding shine :lol:,

e.g. im cleaning a very grimey lever cap what is the best way to make this shiny?

look forward to your replies

adidat

adidat":obx4mfyf said:
so at the moment i refurbishing a few different tools (pics to come). im trying to find the best why of shifting grime and finding shine :lol:,

e.g. im cleaning a very grimey lever cap what is the best way to make this shiny?

look forward to your replies

adidat

If you want to bear the cost, my advice is to find a plating firm and have it rechromed. (Or nickel plated) .

I had the same problem, and I stripped back as much of the old chrome as I could
The platers did all the pickling stripping and cleaning, and rechromed for me, with a 'proper-job'!
if you just want a decent looking finish, put some autosol paste onto a buffing wheel and take it steady!

regards
John
:)

I'm sure we all have our various ways, this is just mine. I seem to acquire a number of old planes (U.S.Stanleys) and I like to bring them up a bit but not too shiny. My favourite method - 0000 steel wool with Autosol on it. If necessary a coarser wool first but it depends on the surface you start with. It's cheap, quick, and very effective on almost all parts (not recommended on plating, just a cloth and Autosol for that - like on the cap iron of a 50s Record say).

Back