How to charge old Black + Decker 18V A9277 drill batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workpez

Reaction score
Hi I have a couple of B+D drills which use the old A9277 18V batteries. The charger no longer works and I'd like to obtain a replacement but have had no luck sourcing one. The old charger output is 21.75V 210 - 230 mA.
Any advice please.

Do the batteries work? I doubt it if they are old enough that the charger has packed up. Look like NiCd's.

I have a similar problem with my Performance Power Pro small circular saw, Lost my charger on a job.
Just picked one up after looking for one for over two years, no luck the battery will not charge.
Was told if the battery will not charge you can use something with the same voltage like you do
with a car to get it charging again, sort of jump start the battery.
The small saw was real handy when you are too lazy to pick up a hand saw..lol
At least the charger only cost me 3 quid.

The chargers seem to exist, (in Oz!! ) You should be able to track down a UK source. If you had access to a lab power supply with current limiting, you could use that. I have done it before with the 14.4V A9276 B&D batteries. I believe the terminal at the front is +ve. You have to be careful and not overheat the batteries, Some of the chargers have a metal tab to sense the battery temperature.

Thanks for replies. I did try a power supply but with 3A current. The next morning the battery was a lump of black plastic so I suppose that the current overheated it. I have also bought a 20V 500mA charger but this seems to have no effect on charging. I'm not sure why as this is close to the rating of the original charger. I will look at sourcing a UK supplier of the charger mentioned above.

You were lucky not to have a fire, pumping over 10x rated current into them...

If you send me the old charger, I’ll have a go at repairing it. The other charger you tried might be sensing a short circuit and shutting off.

Hi. I've managed to locate a supplier of original B+D chargers for the old 18V drills on ebay and have ordered one. These are the type with a mini plug that goes into the drill handle. One of my drills is this type (CD18C) so I'm hoping that I can just place batteries into this handle body for charging. I hope so.

I had the old style Hitachi 18v.....the charger stopped working.....
found a guy with a working set so gave him everything....
He was chuffed to bits....
I was happy to as I bought the latest type double pack....

Is your Insurance up to date o_O Seriously Don't leave charging overnight when Experimenting :eek: the chances of something going pear shaped are high and yep you guessed it,your insurance company is unlikely to cough up any cash as they would see it it as a deliberate act on your part. You had one lucky escape , unless you fancy playing "double or quits" for the price of a cheap cordless drill(n)

Please let us know how you get on - my money is that the batteries are beyond redemption and you are in the market for an another 18v cordless drill - or a online not oem special :) that might work for a while.

I used to have a B&D 18V NiCd drill and found that the Dewalt 18V NiCd batteries were compatible
It might be easier to switch to a second hand Dewalt NiCd charger & battery?
You would need to check compatibility for your particular drill though.

Back