How to change a drive belt on Axminster CT330?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimB

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Recently melted my CT330 thicknesser drive belt (!) and wondered if anyone knows how to change it?

I have the new drive belt and am asking because it does not appear remotely straightforward - I have been Googling for days all to no avail. I have also tried Axminster, who are 'going to get back to me....'

The problem is this: the two drive wheels, which the belt fits around, appear fixed, and the belt will not stretch over them - unless I get a 2 foot pry bar on the job - which I'm disinclined to do! (The belts are > £20 a pop)

The other alternative could be to completely dismantle the machine - which I'm not also fond of. I've even tried boiling hot water (on the old belt) to see if it would make it stretch - it doesn't.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, as I'm thinking it's either a dismantle job or back to Axminster?

Not sure how the panel is fixed on the Axminster machine, but based on how I check my machine for maintenance and looking at the manual for yours I would say :

Take off side panel (no 250) which I assume you have done if you say you can't stretch the belt over the pulleys.
Remove large Cutter Block Drive Pulley (no94 & 95 nut)

Replace pulley with Poly-Vee belt already located in motor pulley groves and cutter block pulley (no94) grooves.

CHJ":37x7cb4n said:
Not sure how the panel is fixed on the Axminster machine, but based on how I check my machine for maintenance and looking at the manual for yours I would say :

Take off side panel (no 250) which I assume you have done if you say you can't stretch the belt over the pulleys.
Remove large Cutter Block Drive Pulley (no94 & 95 nut)

Replace pulley with Poly-Vee belt already located in motor pulley groves and cutter block pulley (no94) grooves.

Many thanks for your reply, but I did try to remove the cutter block pulley - its appears to be a friction fit onto a keyed shaft and does not want to move. If I use a 'puller' to get it off, I reckon I'm never going to get it back on again - whilst simultaneously overcoming the pull of the belt...?

TimB":18b7kcg9 said:
Many thanks for your reply, but I did try to remove the cutter block pulley - its appears to be a friction fit onto a keyed shaft and does not want to move. If I use a 'puller' to get it off, I reckon I'm never going to get it back on again - whilst simultaneously overcoming the pull of the belt...?
You won't know until you try, and I don't see an alternative unless the motor mounting is easily released.

CHJ":h36hfnsf said:
TimB":h36hfnsf said:
You won't know until you try, and I don't see an alternative unless the motor mounting is easily released.

Yep, your right!

Reckon this afternoon I will get the pulley off and see what's possible. Gulp! :(

I think this machine is related to the DW733.
I have an old noname ct330 and a DW733

The trick is to start the belt over the lip of one pulley then the other pulley. press gently on the side of the blet whilst rotating the pulleys by hand. The belt will 'walk' over the pulley edges and into the poly vee grooves. I replaced one on my DW733 and it is very straightforward.

By the way, next time, buy replacements as a standard poly vee belt through an engineering suppliers as it will be far cheaper.

Bob

screenshot113.jpg
screenshot.10_3.jpg
Thanks everyone - I have now cracked it! Thought I would post these images to help anyone else who comes across this issue.

As you can see, getting the drive belt over the wheels is nigh on impossible - by just stretching the belt: I could not even get it started over the lip, using a long screwdriver as leverage! However, if you remove the cam locking bar first, then the motor, it is possible to fit the drive belt over the larger of the two wheels, then the smaller - and lower the motor back into position.

However, the motor is such a tight fit between the casting, that this will take a lot of fiddling about. When it is finally in position, you will need to use levers to get the motor to align with the mounting bolt, that can just be seen below the motor drive pulley.

This needs to be a careful operation as the motor housing is plastic.

Thanks again all, for your help!

Attachments

• screenshot113.jpg
    screenshot113.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 132
  • screenshot.10_3.jpg
    screenshot.10_3.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 168
Elrod":1z25ldw5 said:
It looks like you have that belt on inside out.
Yep, it does, but it's not - the pulleys are not 'toothed', they are grooved - to match the grooves on the belt - but this is hard to see from my pics!

Back