How to avoid brush marks in waterborne lacqer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
First a confession. A paintbrush is something I hardly ever use and then only under protest. I will happily French polish, spray or pad stuff on but I just never use a brush if I can avoid it.

Having said that, I am in the middle of brushing Ronseal waterbased clear lacquer on a tool box made in pale ash/ply. I used this lacquer because I wanted to keep the pale, white look and it's too cold to use a spray in the place I spray (this stuff needs at least 15 degrees to work and I know from experience it's not worth pushing that boundary) . So here I am in a nice warm workshop with these flaming brush marks even in the second coat.
I am using a synthetic bristle brush as recommended on the can.

There seem to be two basic problems. Try as I might, I get air entrained in the brushed coats and second the stuff doesn't flow out, leaving "ridges". It says nothing about thinning on the can and I am averse to thing waterborne stuff if I don't absolutely have to.

I should be very grateful for any advice.

Hi Chris
I always try to use a roller for water based. Avoids the brush marks. Is this an option?
What happens if you sand the lacquer right back with a fine grit? Can you get the smooth finish you want this way?

Aragorn,

Thanks, I could use a small roller for the outside I guess - not realistically for the inside - that matters less anyway as it is not seen.

I haven't used a roller in this century - is it one with the sort of "paint pad" short pile, a fleece or a sponge type that you use? ( There may of course be other types I am not up on!!)

I use a lot of Aquacote WBL and always use a paintpad to apply it, comes out a lot smoother than with a brush and no air bubbles.

Jason

Chris, I use the fleece-y one, though I haven't experimented with the other types. They may well give a better finish.

Some of these water-bourne finishes actually flow-out better if you put a fairly heavy coat on (not so heavy it sags) and then leave it alone. The brush marks will flow out as it dries. That said, unless sprayed, water base will never get the finish of an oil. Try the pads.

Well thanks to the advice, I got the result I wanted in the end.

Not having a roller to hand, I used a pad, put the lacquer on thickly (which goes against the grain, I always like to put finish on in thin coats) and when dry, I scraped it flat and sanded with 800 grit.

This gave a very pleasing semi-gloss surface which I then waxed and it feels great.

Back