How tight should Dovetails be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All
Making quite a few simple boxes lately, nothing fancy but still made nicely (hopefully!).
I plane any slightly uneven joints (LN Low angle block - superb for this).

For separating the lid I use my TS, making sure that the depth of cut does not go all the way through; I leave as little as possible uncut so that the lid and box are still connected in one piece. Having cut all round I then use a Stanley knife to separate the two pieces. Clean up the slight 'burr' and you have two well fitting pieces that need minimal sanding.
I also use the thinest blade I have in the TS to keep the grain matching.
Regards
Martin

Nads":2jz8dntb said:
You said I should plane off the proud tail/pins, how do I set up a flat surface so that I can plane from both sides, I’ve got to plane off between 1-2mm, do I use a block or smoothing plane?
Well it's just a case of using the surface of the proud tails/pins until you reach the reast of the surface (or often a bit further and end up planing the whole side a little.) A thin cut is the order of the day so you stop when you want to and not go too far. A low angle block is a popular option, but in truth any plane will do the job as long as the blade is sharp and the cut is light. Practice a bit first if you're not used to using planes.

Nads":2jz8dntb said:
What do I use to make the grove on the insides and outsides?
What ya got? The majority would probably use a router; the table saw brigade will favour the table saw; me, I'd use a Record #043 grooving plane. But then I'm an insane case. :D

Cheers, Alf

Well it's just a case of using the surface of the proud tails/pins until you reach the reast of the surface (or often a bit further and end up planing the whole side a little.) A thin cut is the order of the day so you stop when you want to and not go too far. A low angle block is a popular option, but in truth any plane will do the job as long as the blade is sharp and the cut is light. Practice a bit first if you're not used to using planes.

When planing how do you stop ripping the end grain? What do you think of using a flush cutting saw and then plan smooth afterwards?

What ya got? The majority would probably use a router; the table saw brigade will favour the table saw; me, I'd use a Record #043 grooving plane. But then I'm an insane case.

I don’t have either a router (my next big purchase) or a grooving plane, I have got access to a table saw tho?

Nads
Try planing in from the edges, not taking a full through shaving. It does work! A sharp blade makes a lot of difference....
Philly :D

Philly":23cxsulc said:
Try plaing in from the edges, not taking a full through shaving.
Wot he said.

Grooving on the table saw is not something I'd recommend, as it generally involves lots of removing of guards and such, so someone else would have to advise on that.

Cheers, Alf

Try plaing in from the edges, not taking a full through shaving

I've not had too much practice with my planes yet, suppose now is as good as anytime! :wink: So you mean, I plane towards the top and bottom or the box (one joint at a time), as oppose to towards the corners? :? Am I better off using my block plane rather than my smoothing plane? All this just to make a simple box! Well it is my first ever woodwork piece, apart from turning a few bowls?! :) It's all good fun tho!

Alf":2kups1bg said:
Nads":2kups1bg said:
All this just to make a simple box!
Maybe now isn't the time to mention that boxes are one of the trickier branches of woodworking... :-$ :wink:

Cheers, Alf

:) :) :) I purchased the scheppach 2500ci to make a jewellery box three months ago nearly, and havent got round to trying again yet.

Philly,

Try plaing in from the edges, not taking a full through shaving

Sorry to be a pain but could elaborate a little for me. Do you mean I plane towards the top and bottom of the box (one joint at a time), as oppose to towards the corners? :? Or do you mean I plane in from all 4 edges of the projecting tail/pin? Do you reckon I’m better of using my block or smoothing plane, as I don’t have a low angle plane!?

Thanks again Everyone!

Nads

I love this forum! I tried planing the projecting ends of my joints yesterday and it worked really well! I took my time and the plane left a really smooth flush finish. I only did it on one of my practice joints, I’ll try it on the box this weekend! :D

As normal, Great advice Philly and Alf

Back