How thin can a screed be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Established Member
Reaction score
I am converting an old pig shed to a little metalworking room. I dont need anything fancy more just a store but the old concrete floor is a bit uneven and varies by around 3" in hight. It would be nice to level it up but I am guessing laying a sand and cement screed that tapers from 3" to nothing is going to breakup where it's thin. Any thoughts on how best to approach this? If it's going to cost a lot I will just put up with it as it is but it would be good to have a levelish floor. Thanks

Thanks Kieth. Yes guessed it would be that thick, oh well an uneven floor it is. The amount of self leveling compound required would I suspect be financially a non starter.

Use concrete and raise the floor by 50mm or dig that amount out to give a minimum 50mm depth of concrete.

Rod

Dig out the highest, say, third of the existing floor such that you can lay new concrete over the whole thing, without raising the floor overly much. That would be my starting point.

Back