How thick should kitchen drawer bottoms be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleythecat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Thanks for all of your previous advice, I've learnt so much doing this kitchen build and it has gone pretty much to plan!!!

I am so nearly finished now, carcasses made and fitted, frames painted, doors made and fitted... So it's on to the drawers.

I have nine drawers to make 6 for two 800 in-frame units and 3 for a 1000 in-frame unit between them. They will be about 500 deep and I am using soft close runners with 12mm birch ply for the front/back/sides (unless you suggest otherwise!)

I have a 6.5mm and 9.5mm groover and was wondering what thickness ply I should use for the base of the drawers?

Many thanks

Leo

6mm glued all round will be o/k, I have made bigger draws and they have held up fine using the same construction.

Pete

Coincidentally I was reading a lot about this just the other day while Googling around to see opinions on whether MDF is okay for a drawer bottom. Many of the threads I found had discussions on what thickness of material is best for kitchen drawers and in a few of them the overwhelming number of recommendations were to go thicker, with 3/8" ply over 1/4" which sounds to me like completely overkill to be honest. I mean how strong does a kitchen drawer need to be? 6mm should be just fine for the average person who doesn't have a large collection of cast iron pans :)

I used 12mm birch ply for the sides and bottom, all fully glued. By using a joint as shown, the internal depth was the same as if I'd used a 6mm bottom in the same rebate.

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Back