How thick do pen blanks need to be ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
And if 14mm is too thin,what else should I use these 600 x 40 x 14mm pieces of teak for....

Picture137Small.jpg

...all 2,400 of them...

Picture136Small.jpg

...that I got given for free this week... :D :D

Andrew

WOW

You should just about be able to make 7mm slimline pens out of this if you are very careful with the drilling of the blanks. The best way would be to cut the blanks over length and drill carefully nearly all the way through but not quiet. Then cut off the excess length, that way you should not get too many split outs. [-o< [-o< :D

Malcolm

You could also try lace bobbins

Seems a shame to use them on Pens as the grain isn't very interesting.

What about some outdoor furniture? They could make up slats for a table or sun lounger or chair.

Or laminate them up and turn them?

Or 9,600 bobbins :lol: Another option is knitting needles

Seriously they could be laminated together and used that way or you could go with the other suggestions of some lath work furniture

Pete

Andrew strikes again! Nice haul mate. 8) :D
p.s. Thanks once again for the visit last week
i've got everything safely stashed away. :lol:
Still sorting things out in the shed's but i'm
slowly getting closer to using the lathe. :lol:

You should be able to make pens with these as long as you do as Malcolm suggests with the drilling under length and then cutting off. It's slow going though, and you'll need a very sharp bit.

I have a load of ebony piano keys that are between 10 and 12mm thick and have successfully made many pens from them. I do all the drilling on the lathe.

Duncan

Back