How strong is your bow tie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good knowledge, I'd wondered how much strength these actually bring.

I do think butterfly keys are like some kind of virus though, I few years ago I hadn't seen many around then the YouTubers caught on and now they're everywhere !!!

weird test, you would never want to force them apart anyway, it's more of a decorative joint than structural.

thetyreman":3cm17b4n said:
weird test, you would never want to force them apart anyway, it's more of a decorative joint than structural.

Seems its also used when using lups of wood with splits in in the attempt to prevent them splitting further. Given the strength added in the tests it seems like it probably does add some strength.

doing a table from a slab of leadwood currently and i have a nasty split that will need bow ties fitting, i wasnt sure how much stronger the joint would be. Good article.

Tom.D":4igjst3c said:
Good knowledge, I'd wondered how much strength these actually bring.

I do think butterfly keys are like some kind of virus though, I few years ago I hadn't seen many around then the YouTubers caught on and now they're everywhere !!!

It's a decorative fad, much like live edge, epoxy and river tables etc. Give it a few years and it will be something else.
At least the nice thing about bowties is that it is cheap and simple for the hobbyist to do unlike epoxy work for instance.

Back