How should I construct this shelf?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reopening this one to fix a gap in my knowledge.

More than one above have recommended a housing joint in the cabinet sides so that the shelf slides in from behind, and I'd like to understand in what situations such a construction is preferred.

For example, in my case the sides of the cabinet will be hidden by the adjacent cabinet on one side, and the wall on the other. So in this case I could easily fix the shelf into place by screwing in from the outside without any aesthetic impact - possibly even locating the shelf in position with some dominos or dowels during construction of the carcass itself. In addition, I'm familiar with having a central shelf fixed mechanically to the sides of the carcass to aid rigidity from cheap flat-pack up to high-end bespoke kitchen cabinet constructions.

I can see a lot of variables that might possibly influence the preference for a housing joint (e.g. the M&T construction of the shelf, the glass inlay, joint aesthetics, strength, ease of construction etc). I'd love to improve my knowledge by understanding what actually influences the decision though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back