How should I approach laying new floor boards here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
Images attached. I’ve put new boards down in a room once, but this seems more complicated. In the image looking down the hallway, on the right, the boards go under the skirting. Now I’m replacing the skirting anyway, but the boards go underneath it and possibly under the wall (as you can see where the skirting has been removed in the image near the pine door). How do I get those boards out to lay new ones? Or maybe I don’t and I’d have to just cut the board that goes underneath the wall flush against that wall and lay the new boards. If so, how would be best to do that?

Then on the left of the pic looking down the hall, there’s a gap; the opposite of the problem on the right. How would I solve that?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• B242E87A-EA7C-4CFB-B013-B3A951FABE60.jpeg
    B242E87A-EA7C-4CFB-B013-B3A951FABE60.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 9F025FDF-8537-4AB9-9805-80CC3E529902.jpeg
    9F025FDF-8537-4AB9-9805-80CC3E529902.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 89E7B927-7B59-4ADB-85F6-0B468BFD4B4E.jpeg
    89E7B927-7B59-4ADB-85F6-0B468BFD4B4E.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 39
It’s one of those jobs where you just have to rake it all out remove the skirtings and see what you’ve got to deal with, certainly if the wall has been built on top of the boards leave that bit of it well alone, make careful note of pipes and wires for when you relay the floor, you will find a multitool to be extremely useful in this sort of job. Best of luck Ian

Is the wall solid brick/block it is unlikely ( i could be wrong but would think that was bad practice) the boards would go underneath, if its a stud wall then they could well go underneath. If you are lucky then when you remove the skirting the boards will be just tucked under, if not then cut flush and leave well alone as Cabinetman says. As for the gap when you put in new flooring cut your new board to suit. Are you using traditional t&g boards or chipboard ?.

It’s one of those jobs where you just have to rake it all out remove the skirtings and see what you’ve got to deal with, certainly if the wall has been built on top of the boards leave that bit of it well alone, make careful note of pipes and wires for when you relay the floor, you will find a multitool to be extremely useful in this sort of job. Best of luck Ian

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much; certainly wont be trying to remove any boards from under the wall if that’s the case.

So with the multi tool I’m presuming there’s a blade attachment for most that would allow you to cut flush against the wall? I’ve never actually used one before I don’t think!

Is the wall solid brick/block it is unlikely ( i could be wrong but would think that was bad practice) the boards would go underneath, if its a stud wall then they could well go underneath. If you are lucky then when you remove the skirting the boards will be just tucked under, if not then cut flush and leave well alone as Cabinetman says. As for the gap when you put in new flooring cut your new board to suit. Are you using traditional t&g boards or chipboard ?.

Thanks for the reply. I don’t believe either walls are studs so hopefully I’ll be lucky.

I’m using traditional t&g boards. It’s a very slim gap is the thing.

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much; certainly wont be trying to remove any boards from under the wall if that’s the case.

So with the multi tool I’m presuming there’s a blade attachment for most that would allow you to cut flush against the wall? I’ve never actually used one before I don’t think!
Yes there are different shaped blades but they are all offset so that you can cut flush to things, my favourite one to use is a semicircular shape but they all work the same basically, recommend ear defenders.

Yes you do use a blade in the multi tool, its cranked so you can get in close. Even out the gap and the skirtings should cover any gaps or you may find your new boards are slightly wider/smaller than those coming out.
Got my multi tool from Aldi ,cheap and cheerful but does the job, as cabinetman says ear defenders are a wise choice

Latest posts

Back