How 'seasoned' is 'seasoned' firewood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":3cmu283s said:
Just wondered what sort of moisture content you'd expect in some firewood that was advertised as seasoned ?

Lots. It won't burn nicely IME.

I buy "so-called" seasoned firewood in July/August and stack it undercover. It burns nicely in December.

BugBear

RogerS":1frn9ph1 said:
Lots? 40% 30% 20%

Never measured it. Never needed to. But it won't burn well as delivered, at least from the guy I used to use.

But in any case, I doubt if "seasoned" is a well defined "trading standards" term.

BugBear

From local experience "seasoned" firewood is only around 25 - 30% MC which is somewhere around 2 or 3 months sitting outside during the summer. Covered it may get down to 25 odd % or so, YMMV.

The reading around I did suggested that seasoned was in the area of 20-25%. Well, my logs were off the Wagner scale....ie more than 32%. Not to worry....they just delivered anther load and took the first lot back. Moisture level of a couple of logs was 25%. Result.

Out of curiosity I measure the moisture content of the last load that we bought about four years ago and which have been stacked in the open part of the outbuilding. Between 9 and 10%. Not bad.

theartfulbodger":3jfu0z30 said:
Damn
I was wondering earlier about logs being a good cheap source of wood for small box making

If you are local to Crowborough, I might be able to help.

I get van loads of oak off cuts. Air dried inside and in stick for approx 5yrs. All of it currently goes on my fire.

logsm.jpg

I also currently have approx 56 cube of air and kiln dried English oak that I'd let go for £100.00 collected.
The average length is approx 10' and the widest plank is 15" Its quite a random parcel, but at £100.00 it would still make very cheap firewood.

I can take some proper measurements and take the moisture content of it if you want.

dscf1903ht.jpg

dscf1904g.jpg

dscf1901r.jpg

EddieJ":1g5yxm9j said:
theartfulbodger":1g5yxm9j said:
Damn
I was wondering earlier about logs being a good cheap source of wood for small box making

If you are local to Crowborough, I might be able to help.

I get van loads of oak off cuts. Air dried inside and in stick for approx 5yrs. All of it currently goes on my fire.

logsm.jpg

Let me good this straight; in your opinion those are offcuts fit only for burning?!? I'd love to see the good stuff!

BugBear

Latest posts

Back