How old is old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that great democracy, Switzerland, didn't enfranchise women till 1971!

Roy.

You get me wrong, there were some aspects that I think were very good.

I would say there was probably less crime per head in the fifties but that's just a gut feeling. It's impossible to tell without studying the statistics in detail but even that would be fraught with problems as crimes will have been recorded differently over time, reporting rates change over time (I would guess that far more crimes are reported now) and the mix of crimes changes over time.

The totally number of accidents on the road has certainly risen but has it risen as fast as the number of miles driven or car ownership, probably not I would guess. You are also much more likely to survive a serious crash now than you were 30 years ago.

As for health care, certainly, we haven't made advances in all areas. Some cancers were and still are very hard to treat effectively. The fact you had the same treatment they used in the fifties is more an indication of it being an effective treatment than a lack of advance - it's effective enough that none of the pharmaceutical companies have looked for a replacement because there wouldn't be any profit in it. I don't think anyone could argue that we haven't made very significant advances in medicine as the whole though.

My position is this: The recent past wasn't bad it just wasn't, overall, as good as today.

The recent past wasn't bad it just wasn't, overall, as good as today.

Depends of course how far back we go of course. My father walked the length and breadth of this country with his one pair of boots around his neck to look as presentable as pos when applying for a job, any job!
This was the 'hungry twenties' when real hardship stalked the land and he knew no settled lifefrom the age of 13 till 35, and he had no misconceptions about the old days.
Also I grant that we old 'uns will view the past through rose tinted specs, but give me the 50s and 60s in place of today anytime!

Roy.

Give me the 60s and early 70s! I enjoyed my time in the R.A.F. Being an eleky on Comet 2s and 4Cs, Britannias, VC10 and Belfasts (well, into everyones life a little rain must fall. Mine was the Belfast!) was a time when you could actually fix without just box changing. A very interesting time and the only down side was having to spend 2 1/2 years in Singapore! But I suppose that I managed to show a stiff upper lip and have an absolute ball! :mrgreen:

Belslug was our name for it Roy (hammer) (hammer)

Pig awful machine designed by the same committee as designed the camel. I actually saw what should have been the original spec and it would have out globed the Globemaster!

Only 9 were ever built. 9 too many! Sorry 10, but we only had 9 of them, the 10th went to Boscombe Down so they could see just what it couldn't do that it was supposed to!

wobblycogs":2x1zbhjn said:
(I would guess that far more crimes are reported now)

Of course.

More crimes reported = More claims for compensation = More fraudulent claims on house and car insurance.

Who needs to work? These days are great.

Only Joshing :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, from a materialistic point of view we've never had it so good. But society as a whole sucks. As kids we played in the street with a bat and ball and we respected our elders. These days if you don't show some teenage scumbag 'respect', he'll show you how he plays in the street... with a knife!

Don't get me wrong, I would rather live 'now' as opposed to 'then', but somewhere along the line it all went wrong with regards to moral standards. Fix that and you've gone a long way to creating a better world to live in.

Roy

We simply had music Rog! Either that or I've suddenly gone tone deaf! :lol:

Roy.

Spot on Roy! Morels have gone out of the window and there is no respect for authority any more. bl**y do gooders IMHO. :evil:

Jonzjob":3sl76ncl said:
Pig awful machine designed by the same committee as designed the camel.

Assume you are not referring to the Sopwith Camel?? (My Father flew them towards the end of WW1, and had wonderful tales to tell about the effects of the rotary engine on turning one way compared to the other:) )

But looking at the general topic of the posts here, I suspect most of us would probably think whenever our teenage years were was the "best decade". I'm Roy's age, and would agree about the 50's SEEMING a pretty good time.

The turning was all to do with gyroscopic presession, a fascinating subject..

And a bloody miracle keeping it flying where you wanted it to! I made a model years ago with a lead disk attached to the prop, never again, the damn thing had a mind of its own!

Roy.

Clockwise it was, I only did it to how difficult it was to control after reading about the Camel. According to reports more pilots died trying to handle it than fell from enemy action.

Roy.

It makes me smile when folks talk about how good the "old days" were.

My Dad & mum were born in the 20`s & 30`s respectively & i was bought up to be respectful of my elders & constantly told of how even during the war times people had more respect, higher morals & a better sense of community.

Funny then that latter i learned that during the blitz, that time of community & British spirt, looting was rife, with even firemen of the day being imprisoned for looting & stealing, though of course this was hidden from the general public to avoid disheartening the already shell shock public.

The fact is there is good & bad in every generation, the biggest problem is folks are too keen to believe what the press want to tell them, if you believe what they say of the youth of today, you`d think we were all doomed, which from what i`ve seen from my own son`s schools is far from the truth.

Personally I'm far more inspired looking forward, than looking back & would love to be my sons age now with all the opportunities that his schooling is giving him, a world away from what my schooling gave me.

Back