How not to operate a miter saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if any of you follow follow the newspapers but there was a report yesterday of a guy using a cheapo challenge miter saw to cut firewood. It went spectacularly wrong.
The key word in the article was 'Hoodie', as in he caught it in the blade as he reached in to lift the timber away. Result isnt a nice visual for those of us with one(most here I expect)
Managed to cut through his entire forearm, severing hand and wrist. There was a fair bit of claret spread about the saw and the tell tale ragged section of hoodie sleeve.

Sleeves ABOVE the elbows guys;)

Thankfully the surgeon managed to put it back on, though it looks a little offset :oops:

Actually the only one of these that has me work it with huge respect is the radial arm saw as you can see anything contacts the blade is going to be pulled under and cut off, and ive too good a visual imagination. I just hate it really, and its designed to come forward so it will take off anything.

Article - sorry really not work safe or for anyone with lax working practice or squeamish in the slightest.
2nd apology for being in the daily racist, i dont read this rag, was the first link.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9038791/Security-officer-49-chops-HAND-electric-saw.html
Completely agree about the Daily Hate - dreadful paper and always was. In the 1950s, my Grandad, normally a shy, quiet man who wouldn't say boo to a goose was so enraged by a plumber who came to do some minor re-plumbing carrying a copy of said rag, he sent the man packing. and told him never to return.
Loose clothing - a agree even more. It has no place near rotating cutting tools. Jackets in particular must be buttoned or zipped up

I've been using my mitre saw a lot just recently so this is a timely reminder.

I remember when lanyards at work became a thing, someone asked why the strap had a plastic connector thingie, I unthinkingly replied 'Must be in case it gets caught in the lathe?’
My fellow IT geeks looked at me like I had two heads; what's a lathe??? Lol

Last edited:
If it stopped him using timber from an old shed in his wood burner, maybe there is a silver lining!

20+ years ago, with my first ever mitre saw, I was cutting some pen blanks at 90% and thought it might be nicer if I cut them at 45%, so moved the blade but didn't move my hand position. I bought the blade down and took a 45% slice off the top of my left index finger. Luckily I didn't take off the top, or hit much bone but it did require an operation the next day and, obviously, I still have a very slightly deformed finger but no loss of function.
First thing I did on getting home from the hospital was to complete the 45% cuts with the mitre saw, otherwise I thought I'd never use it again.

I am surprised how many joinery and building firms supply their staff with hoodies printed up with their company logo. I know it's what the youth like to wear but that hood swinging around is just waiting to get caught up on something, also some have drawstrings hanging down round the neck, accident waiting to happen.

Ok, may be just me. Just watched the video, can’t see any loose cloths, hoodies, lanyards. He has his sleeves pushed up out of the way. Now apart from holding the stuff whilst demonstrating the action of the saw with it switched off, what is he doing wrong?

we all do stupid things with power tools from time to time ,it just takes a little distraction or not paying full attention. It certainly is a wake up call isn't it.
I have a cheapy Makita mitre saw but it still has an adjustable clamp either side of the blade to hold the wood. I have always used them for every cut even though it adds time to every cut. This is the same model as my saw and you can see that the owner has removed both the clamps which I suspect most people do.......................
s-l500 (1).jpg

Ok, may be just me. Just watched the video, can’t see any loose cloths, hoodies, lanyards. He has his sleeves pushed up out of the way. Now apart from holding the stuff whilst demonstrating the action of the saw with it switched off, what is he doing wrong?
The original post is about a newspaper article where someone lost their entire hand in a chop saw accident.

There is also a video in a later post showing a device for holding items on a mitre saw that shows good practice.

People are referring to these two things in different posts.

Poor quy. If he was cutting round firewood that is extremely dangerous. The blade is going to roll the log and grab it at some stage. All mitre saws can be made a lot safer by attaching a 12 mm plywood fence and a zero clearance insert.

Last edited:
These are always good reminders to me, so that I don't get complacent.

Pretty much the reason for the post. Complacency. Cold winters day having sleeves up above the elbows means its cold, but the worst case scenario as we all see here is truly horrifying.
This guy was lucky, and I for one would have problems facing day to day issues and the thought of never being capable of making anything ever again really rams it all home.

Looking at it, I think its a case of the chap holding the guard open, maybe using tape or zippies as suggested, or the saw on switch held on thus.

Last edited:
One doesn't often see warnings not to use circular or near-circular workpieces in the chop saw. But these must really be clamped down, Unfortunately a suitable clamp (pushing into the V of the fence and the table) isn't usually provided.

I've been wearing a hoodie in the workshop since it got cold. I'm quite glad I don't have a mitre saw now.

Actually the only one of these that has me work it with huge respect is the radial arm saw as you can see anything contacts the blade is going to be pulled under and cut off, and ive too good a visual imagination. I just hate it really, and its designed to come forward so it will take off anything.

You're using it wrong. Seriously! Get some guidance now. Don't cut on a pull stroke. You're supposed to pull the saw all the way towards you, place the piece to be cut where you want it, start the saw and cut with a push stroke.

Pete

You're using it wrong. Seriously! Get some guidance now. Don't cut on a pull stroke. You're supposed to pull the saw all the way towards you, place the piece to be cut where you want it, start the saw and cut with a push stroke.

Pete
I admit that sounds safer because the saw blade does pull itself forward. But surely that's why hands and clothing should be nowhere near the blade? I've never been taught that your way is the correct way to use a radial arm saw, not on the woodmachining course I attended when I first went into woodworking or on the Advanced Craft Certificate C & G Course at Bridgwater College. I've never seen it described that way or seen a radial arm saw used that way either. I'm not contradicting what you say, but I googled "Correct way to use radial arm saw" and it came up with .

I'm not going to argue the point with anyone about this. Using a radial arm saw on a pull cut is dangerous. I have seen the after effects of too many accidents involving a "human/machine interface" over many years to be complacent about this stuff. The machine always wins. Just because some ill-informed "teacher" with little to no practical experience or 1001 morons with a youtube account say something is OK, does not make it OK. Your opening phrase stated " I admit that sounds safer ". Stick with that and you'll be fine.

Pete

I have never seen a radial arm saw used as Bale suggests, they are always used as in the video attached by Andy Hamilton.

Just been preparing for a wood machining course next week, first bit of kit on the agenda the Mitre Saw. After a general safety introduction on the basic workshop rules of no hoodies, wooly pulleys, long hair, keeping your hands clear using push sticks, blocks and jigs and isolating machines. Interspersed with a few stories to help concentrate the mind, understanding the difference between a crosscut/radial arm and the mitre saw is fundamental along with the difference between rip and cross cut blades. This HSE info sheet is a good starter and their video is also useful.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis36.pdf

@Bale "Jamie Ward" in the YouTube video is a very experienced wood machinist and good lecturer, his demo is good practice. He is demonstrating a cross cut/radial arm saw this is different to a mitre saw. Crosscut/radial saws have to be used pulling (under control) across the timber as demonstrated. The only thing I would add to his video is keep your hands out of the danger zone (clearly marked) and for larger pieces of timber keep both hands on the saw and arms straight, if it bites the timber you are pushed out of the way not knocked out or eaten by the saw.
Bale I think you are referring to a mitre saw (as shown in my video) for wide pieces bring the saw over the top of the timber and cut on the push stroke, or lock the saw off and cut on the down stroke.

These machines look very similar but are used in opposite ways, but both should use negative hook blades.

Latest posts

Back