How not to make a desk?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I've just seen this desk on facebook marketplace and thought it shows most of the mistakes most people make when making a desk - or in this case a "desk shaped object" and is just the sort of example of tat that makes people shy away from "stuff made out of palletwood / scaffold planks".

How many mistakes can you count? :)

stupid desk.jpg

Oh and here's the best bit - the pricetag £160.

Yes those are bits of anglebrackets and flat metal bar, the wooden braces under the top are full width and screwed, and the top is just screwed into the legs.

For full disclosure I did suggest to the seller that they put some supports under the leadign edge of that cantilvered shelf and just got a mouthful

Last edited:
I used to moderate a forum & there was more falling out over pallet furniture than anything else, it really was marmite, some folks love this stuff, personally it makes me feel like my eyes are on fire but plenty of people like it.
if he can sell it & it’s what his customers want then good luck to him.

I used to moderate a forum & there was more falling out over pallet furniture than anything else, it really was marmite, some folks love this stuff, personally it makes me feel like my eyes are on fire but plenty of people like it.
if he can sell it & it’s what his customers want then good luck to him.

Well here's the thing, I'm normally a proponent and defender of "pallet furniture" insofar as the things that can be made from pallet wood - it IS just wood after all, and properly prepared is just as good as bought stuff - with even the occasional pallet containing hardwood sections.

But IMHO this example is all the stuff that's wrong with those whom think making a few cuts and screwing it all together constitutes "woodworking" or "furniture making".

The maker seemed adamant that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that cantilevered shelf, or that the whole thing has no bracing against racking, to name just 2 obvious flaws, and when I tried to politely point it out (I was polite not mocking) the response was the kind of abuse you might dump on someone had they called your mother a lady of the night.

Another part of this - to me - is the moral dilemma, I think we are agreed this has been constructed in less than an ideal way and will develop issues in short order - so as people whom can see those issues, should we (or I) speak out or just allow them to sell garbage that tarnishes other honest, good makers?

If it were a family member or friend about to buy that then I would offer some advice but you can't save everyone. There does seem to be a trend toward things being built with no visual sign of support. Anyhow word gets around and he may not sell too many of those.
Regards
John

Looks like the shelf has a bracket underneath so might not be a weak as it seems. Corner brackets for the legs too. Guess it depends what you want to use it for. Sitting with a laptop and a cup of coffee I suspect it is plenty strong enough, the bottom shelf could easily store a printer, the middle shelf, somewhere to stick a few sheets of paper to keep the top clear.

I think you're pissing into the wind. Especially on Facebook Marketplace. I, stupidly, tried explaining to a seller that his oak table and chairs were actually a pine table, and beech chairs (but still a bargain, if you liked them).
Never again.

Latest posts

Back