How not to make a desk?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to be scaffold boards as you can see the metal board end on the top right of the picture. The black ends appear to be painted and not to be a metal frame as you can make out the wood grain if you look closely.

Edit: sorry I just spotted your response Rorschach, you beat me to it!

You may mock, But if it sells, Then who are we to say it's rubbish?
4 years of college learning furniture design. So me for starters 🤣
I just need to know who his buyers are!
London ?.
Pains me sometimes to see London prices, people asking huge amounts for furniture. Nice furniture yes, with exotic or premium timbers, properly designed and constructed but horrifying prices. Like sideboards for £30k :oops:

If all the black bits are welded steel angle then should be strong enough, whether you like it or not is another matter. Not sure that chucking some lengths of pallet in a steel frame constitutes carpentry. If you have the same background decor as the seller then it will probably blend in very nicely !

The great thing about the capitalist market is that demand and supply determine the market. If he makes 5 pieces of absolute tat and there's 5 out of 66,000,000 people in the UK who value such tat at £160, there's your market.

Are there 5 people willing to buy this? Well if you look at the sheer volume of dreadful rubbish for sale on any internet website, the answer could well be yes.

People should be free to make, buy and sell whatever they like so long as it’s inside the law... and I’m free to say it’s junk.

Think of it like a fuel guzzling sports car, they aren’t morally acceptable in themselves, but creating them employs people and selling them liberates money from people and allows it to go where it may end up somewhere better.

There is much like this on Facebook marketplace etc... there are also some stunning old pieces that go for a almost nothing but must have cost a fortune new.

Aidan

Looks to me like the edges are just painted black but I could be wrong. Not to my taste at all but it takes all sorts.

Jim

Is that black edge a metal frame? If it is it makes more sense.

no just black paint.

Edit - yes even a welded metal frame would have most of fixed the issues.

@Tiddles I get your point of view, but not quite the same really here - what people will think they are buying is a solid desk that might last a very long time indeed, based on the fact it's thick solid scaffold boards, when the reality is anything but; the first person to lean on it sideways and the screws from the top to the legs will pull through and bend.

@rorshcach - yes there are some bits of wood support, but they are barely any larger than a couple of inches, so that middle shelf's support, past halfway will be almost nothing - as you say barely much good for anything other than a few sheets of paper, but those people that don't know that will stick the printer on it.

I think you're pissing into the wind. Especially on Facebook Marketplace. I, stupidly, tried explaining to a seller that his oak table and chairs were actually a pine table, and beech chairs (but still a bargain, if you liked them).
Never again.

Can I guess that the response you got was similar to mine?

Last edited:
4 years of college learning furniture design. So me for starters 🤣

London ?.
Pains me sometimes to see London prices, people asking huge amounts for furniture. Nice furniture yes, with exotic or premium timbers, properly designed and constructed but horrifying prices. Like sideboards for £30k :oops:

Hamburg... I was in Hamburg 20 years ago and I went into an upscale design shop because they had the most beautiful wooden shoe box in the window (£3k).

Made by one guy in Spain. They also had a desk he made for £20k. I've never seen workmanship like it. Pure art.

If I'd had the money, I'd have bought both pieces then & there.

The only thing I've seen come close is a pair of filing drawers made by a company called (?) "ABC".

They had come out of the old BBC building in Queen Margaret Dr, Glasgow.

I made the man what I thought was a good offer. He didn't take it.

Latest posts

Back