How not to cut biscuit slots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Was finishing some edging on my TS outfeed table lastnight. Edging was about 10mm square and therefore awkward to cut slots in. Rather than set up a quick jig took the lazy way - holding the wood against the fence with my hands. Did four or five lenghts this way. Last bit kinda went wrong. Instead of pulling the trigger and plunging I managed to plunge first and then pull the trigger. Blade caught the edging and launched it accross the shop and my finger introduced itself to the blade.
IMG_0019Rcd.jpg

Moral - don't be lazy and do things the proper way.

Noel

Ouch :shock:
Hope you recover soon, and thanks for the safety reminder.
Who'd have thought it would be the biscuit jointer that would bite your fingers off!

Oww! Glad you're alright :shock:
Is that blood on the BJ? And are you gonna clean it off or leave it as a reminder??
CHeers
Philly :D

Zoicks, Noel! :shock: :shock: That could have been really, really nasty - lucky man, up to a point... Heal soon, and thanks for the reminder. I have a similar job on the to-do list and was thinking to try and "get away with it". No chance now. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Ouch, Noely! I've always considered the BJ one of the safer tools (except when Norm uses one :roll: ) but I'll treat it with more respect after seeing this... thank goodness it wasn't more serious :shock:

Neil

Thanks all. Me finger's a lot better. Wasn't the usual type of chisel cut, more of a gouge....And an injury on the end of the finger tends to bleed and bleed and bleed...Maybe a good thing the BJ has only a 6 tooth blade. I'm sure we all do dopey things at times and 99% of the time we get away with it. It's the 1% that really hurts. Yes Philly, the blood stays...

Noel, still throbbing...

Good luck and bad in one fell swoop Noel. Bad you were caught, good it wasn't a hell of a lot worse. Heal fast mate.

Drew

i did a good one last night i needed to shave about 1.5mm off of a piece of pine as i was fitting a door frame and i needed to pack one side so out came the belt sander. instead of clamping the wood down i decided to hold it in one hand and the belt sander in the other gave it a try but the belt was a bit worn so out came a new 80grit belt as soon as i held the wood against the belt the belt grabbed the wood the wood went one way and my hand went the other straight against the belt the skin on the palm of my hand got caught against the back edge where the belt dissapears and i bet you can geuss the rest needless to say it hurt.
Don't say it i no what you are all thinking but believe me i have learn't a valuable lesson the ironic thing is less than a metre to my left was a pair of leather work gloves which is still a silly thing to do even with gloves but at least i would have a lot more skin on the palm of my hand.

Live and learn.
Derek.

Gosh Noel... painful :shock: !

I hope your blood didn't stain the timber. Incidentally, what sort of BJ was it (and don't say, "The hungry sort.")? I think we all need to be aware of which model has a tendency to bite the hand that feeds.

Gill

Gill":1dvduvkx said:
Gosh Noel... painful :shock: !

I hope your blood didn't stain the timber. Incidentally, what sort of BJ was it (and don't say, "The hungry sort.")? I think we all need to be aware of which model has a tendency to bite the hand that feeds.

Gill, not the machine( Porter Cable 557) but the guy trying to operate it.
Volvo or Yugo, they'll both crash with an incompetent driver....
Incidentially the PC is the best on the market, in my painful opinion...

Back