How noisy are your tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in this topic, I'm thinking of buying a felder AF22 extractor which ia quoted at 82.5db , but its hard to quantify that.
is that loud medium or just a gentle hum?
anyone know?

Mike

mikepooley":3mkvyu1n said:
I'm very interested in this topic, I'm thinking of buying a felder AF22 extractor which ia quoted at 82.5db , but its hard to quantify that.
anyone know?

Mike

This gives a vacuum cleaner at 80dB.

EDIT: I just measured my Earlex vacuum cleaner and it's about 80dB..subjectively pretty noisy!

Roger Sinden":1qeiwrvn said:
mikepooley":1qeiwrvn said:
anyone know?

Mike

This gives a vacuum cleaner at 80dB.

EDIT: I just measured my Earlex vacuum cleaner and it's about 80dB..subjectively pretty noisy!

mmh Yes I thought it would be :(
and the blimmin thing will be running a lot too :(

Thanks!
Might look for a quieter one

Mike

Roger Sinden":3mpq69y6 said:
Tony recommends the Charnwood as being very quiet as it has an induction motor IIRC.

The charnwood filters down to 2 micron - is that good enough?
the cartridge filters to take it down to half micron are £159 each and i'd need 2 :shock:

Mike

Roger Sinden":15prpsss said:
Mike

Best custom and practice seems to be just to replace the bag with a 0.5 IIRC micron filter from Axminster. Cost under £50

Roger

Thanks!

Hi Mike

Some one did get the cartridge filters from ebay for about £50 each, I think it was Barry Bergess ( sp) on his cyclone :)

some one will put me right if I have it wrong.

brocher":3bteg3bj said:
...snip..It appears that more attention is paid to dust but not too noise. Why?

I think that it is because dust in general has only been accepted as a serious hazard in recent years, where-as ear defender suppression of noise has been accepted practice for a long time because it caused immediate discomfort and was a much easier option than tackling the cause.

I even had someone expound the difference between the two as:
Noise will only damage the hearing capability it will not kill you so it is less of a problem than dust that will. This person was looking at the problem from an industrial claims front, an xray/biopsy confirming dust contamination is easier to prove than the what, where and when noise damage occurred.

That's most interesting and timely as I am about to be setting up a rather old Multico extractor in my wee 12x6 shed or in the thickness of a weatherboarding housing away . I have visions of a swarm of bees in a matchbox but hopefully not. cheers !

Back