How noisy are portable thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
I know they're noisy, but any more so than a benchtop tablesaw or router? I'm thinking about getting one at some point in the future, if the noise isn't unbearable.

Cheers,
Mark

My router is noisier I think. I have only used the thicknesser a few times, but I was surprised by the noise levels- not as bad as I was expecting. That is an axi ct330- I think that there are numerous similar models.

Mine, a Charnwood is ear defender territory really, on a par with, if not noisier than my 10" chop saw. (both brushed motors)

mark aspin":24evvsmv said:
I know they're noisy, but any more so than a benchtop tablesaw or router? I'm thinking about getting one at some point in the future, if the noise isn't unbearable.

Cheers,
Mark
Very, very - you'll need ear defenders, and if it's for use at home, an understanding wife and tolerant neighbours :)

The P/Ts with an induction motor are a lot quieter.

my planer with an induction motor is most definately quieter. There are no DB ratings on the manual or on a similar models on the axminster site.

I'd love to get a big planer thicknesser with cast iron tables and an induction motor, but I think I can just about fit in a benchtop thicknesser with a bit of a struggle (on a shelf - no room for a stand.) I've been using a jig for my router to prepare rough boards but it takes all day and is such a faff cleaning up afterwards.

Fortunately my neighbours are understanding but I don't want to spoil it by upsetting them, so like all my powertools I'd stop using it come 5 or 6pm. I do wear ear protection also.

Mark

My benchtop thicknesser DW733, is the loudest machine in the shop and the only one I use earplugs with. Not only the volume but the duration of the session. Also you will need a chip collector running otherwise you will be knee deep in waste in no time.

I'm not aware of any benchtop thicknesser driven by induction motors. There is a floor standing JET thicknesser but that has a fixed cutter head and elevation tables and I like to use a thicknesser with an extra outfeed table to reduce snipe to an absolute minimum.

Bob

I have an Axminster CT150 planer which is lovely and quiet. I then fire up my Dewalt DW733 to thickness like Bob and have to don the ear defenders. It really is very very loud. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that this is one of the quieter models as well.

The ear defenders work very well, but I do wince about the neighbours getting upset. Like you I get on well with mine and only have them on one side. I stick to reasonable hours and keep using it to a minimum.

Owning a planer and thicknesser has enabled me to move through projects at a much faster rate than before. The DW733 leaves a very good finish.

HTH
Paul

might be worth hearing one in action and judging for yourself. There must be somebody near you that you can see. If you fancy a trip to Leeds you can come and thickness some american ash for my bench top, no probs at all.

Likewise, I have a dewalt, and you will need the full set of ear defenders, glasses and mask !

the noise impact on neighbours etc depends on where you will be using it, but recommend a friendly chat with them first, so at least its not a big surprise !

My set-up is pretty loud (Ridgid model) and made louder by have the vac connected and hooked up on a tool-accuated switch. I always wear ear protection when running this set-up...and try to plan my thicknessing when the wife and kids are away or awake!

My set-up is pretty loud (Ridgid model) and made louder by have the vac connected and hooked up on a tool-accuated switch. I always wear ear protection when running this set-up...and try to plan my thicknessing when the wife and kids are away or awake!

+1 for DW 733, same as Bob. DEFINITELY ear defenders and dust extraction, particularly if, like me, you work in a small workshop. I have 8' wide and a choice of 11' (weatherprrof) and 10' (open one side). In both circumstances, the Big Yella Beastie sounds like Concorde or an Avro Vulcan tuning up...You can bury small dogs and cats in sconds with the outfall from the spout....

Sam

I have a cheap Sealey planer thicknesser, bench top model. On the odd occasions i have used it without ear defenders (stupid i know but in a rush), my ears are left ringing for ages. Really loud. Louder than any other tool i have in my workshop (router, table saw, mitre saw etc)

Used my DW733 without ear defenders once in my small shed. Couldn't hear properly for a day afterwards. Was really concerned for a while that I'd done some serious damage.

My wife still says it must have affected me as I cant hear what she is saying. ;-)

dont get me wrong, I would use ear defenders with my axi ct330, but it isnt as bad as people are describing here with other models. I have put a board through it without ear defenders on and not been that worried about neighbours and had no ringing in ears afterwards. Maybe it is quieter, maybe I have got a good one, or maybe I had a different expectation about the noise.

My Jet 12" is, I think, similar to the Axi one. Certainly noisy, and I would always wear ear protection with it. But possibly slightly quieter than the smaller Ryobi that it replaced.
Would also second the comment about extraction. And depending on what you are thicknessing, I'd recomment respiratory protection too - see the comments in the other thread (the sawstop one) about nasal carcinoma. Thicknessers (and most other machines for that matter) don't just make chips, there's a lot of dust flying around that bypasses even the best extraction.

marcros":2cilrh6p said:
might be worth hearing one in action and judging for yourself. There must be somebody near you that you can see. If you fancy a trip to Leeds you can come and thickness some american ash for my bench top, no probs at all.
Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Leeds is a bit far I think, though you never know - there's always a chance that I'll have to go that way at some point.

By the sounds of it they're all about as noisy, maybe a tad more so, than my Metabo TS250 tablesaw, which isn't much of a problem as long as I'm respectful of neighbours and keep the noise down after 5 or 6pm. I recently bought a 3M respirator from Screwfix (with free goggles), plus I wear hearing protection so that bit's sorted.

Now... which one do you recommend? The Dewalt and Axminster thicknessers have been mentioned a few times - is one better than t'other?

Cheers,
Mark

marcros":18py44q2 said:
dont get me wrong, I would use ear defenders with my axi ct330, but it isnt as bad as people are describing here with other models. I have put a board through it without ear defenders on and not been that worried about neighbours and had no ringing in ears afterwards. Maybe it is quieter, maybe I have got a good one, or maybe I had a different expectation about the noise.

Or maybe your hearing is already damaged?

The trouble with noise induced hearing loss is that you don't notice until the damage is done then it's too late!

I've got the CT330 and wouldn't dream of using it without protection. I'm not aware of any benchtop thicknesser that isn't a real screamer. Is there a reason why nobody makes a model without an induction motor?

stuartpaul":ah1eypxh said:
marcros":ah1eypxh said:

Or maybe your hearing is already damaged?

The trouble with noise induced hearing loss is that you don't notice until the damage is done then it's too late!

I've got the CT330 and wouldn't dream of using it without protection. I'm not aware of any benchtop thicknesser that isn't a real screamer. Is there a reason why nobody makes a model without an induction motor?

Thinking about it, the noise will be mainly when cutting and I was using it on a couple of passes on a 4ft board, so maybe that explains why I found it quieter than expected and quieter than everybody else- it was cutting for a lot less time.

Back