How noisy are portable thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9fingers":qmm7eolo said:
Bluekingfisher":qmm7eolo said:
Noise with these and all power tools is an issue, particularly as most of us are very close to our neighbours. I try to restrict my power tool activity to reasonable hours, particularly during the summer when other people may be out in the garden enjoying the sunshine (on those rare ocassions)

I used to have a bench top model. I would often run the machine then then leave the shop to stand outside to listen to the noise levels. I would stand near the fence by the neighbours property to listen. Quite often the machine was barely audible, particularly on windy days or during the day where the noise from other activity such as dogs barking, children playing, traffic noise etc would take the edge off it. At night time it always seemed louder, probably to do with air pressure and less activity nearby.
To combat this I was considering building a basic box lined with insulation to slide over the machine while in operation. I never actually got around to it because I bought a machine with an induction motor.

Maybe you are not comparing like with like but does this mean that you have found an induction motor powered benchtop thicknesser? If so do tell me more please David.

TIA

Bob

Hi Bob - No, not a like for like, I bought the Jet JPM - 13 Thicknesser.

I had a Fox 13" bench top planer before hand, the thought of planing down wood used to fill me with dread. I always half expected to hear a knock on the wshop door from angry neighbours, although I probably wouldn't have heard them. The Jet is almost undetacable from outside the shop, although I don't know if this is still the case when the timber runs through the cutters. It was of course a more expensive machine, but for piece of mind the extra money was well woth it.

David

Back