How noisy are portable thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

The short answer, as many have said, is that they are really very noisy and they are on for quite a while, usually with some sort of extraction running to prevent you turning into woodworking's equivalent of Lot's Wife.

To put it in some sort of context: I have the Makita NB2012 thicknesser, it's considered one of the quieter thicknessers, if not the quietest thicknesser. When running it's rated at ~83dB, which is equivalent to standing close to a very busy motorway. It's also well above the EPA-guidelines on maximum noise exposure to prevent against hearing loss.

In reality, provided you're reasonable in your behaviour and particularly if you'll be using it in a building that isn't immediately attached to your neighbour's property, you should be fine - but as others have said here, wearing good ear defenders is absolutely vital.

Another small point - you mentioned that you'd be storing the thicknesser on a shelf. Make sure it's a very sturdy shelf that's set at a reasonable height; the Makita weighs something like 30kilos and isn't something you want to move around too much, have to stretch to reach, or have fall on you or anything/anybody else. I imagine the same is true for all of the other models too.

Cheers,

Daniel

Not noisey at all no more so than a pillar drill.
Unless I am wearing both of my hearing aids, hee hee

danielddr":2yer8f2e said:
Hi,

The short answer, as many have said, is that they are really very noisy and they are on for quite a while, usually with some sort of extraction running to prevent you turning into woodworking's equivalent of Lot's Wife.

To put it in some sort of context: I have the Makita NB2012 thicknesser, it's considered one of the quieter thicknessers, if not the quietest thicknesser. When running it's rated at ~83dB, which is equivalent to standing close to a very busy motorway. It's also well above the EPA-guidelines on maximum noise exposure to prevent against hearing loss.

In reality, provided you're reasonable in your behaviour and particularly if you'll be using it in a building that isn't immediately attached to your neighbour's property, you should be fine - but as others have said here, wearing good ear defenders is absolutely vital.

Another small point - you mentioned that you'd be storing the thicknesser on a shelf. Make sure it's a very sturdy shelf that's set at a reasonable height; the Makita weighs something like 30kilos and isn't something you want to move around too much, have to stretch to reach, or have fall on you or anything/anybody else. I imagine the same is true for all of the other models too.

Cheers,

Daniel

good point. the axi is 35kgs i think. It isnt too bad to lift from the floor to a bench, but I wouldnt want to have to keep lifting it over things and dragging it around. And if in use regularly, it would be far better to have it on a mobile base so it just needs wheeling into place.

The shelf is under my workbench so it can take the weight no problem. This is where I used to store my tablesaw before I had enough space to keep it on its stand, and moving that wasn't much of an issue.

I'd like to keep the thicknesser on a wheeled stand but the last available bit of floor space in my shed is reserved for a bandsaw when I find one!

I'll just keep my eyes open for a thicknesser (and a bandsaw) round here so I can view it first.

Mark

Mark, I know you're a little way from us here in Bristol, but it might be worth keeping an eye on Trade It.

It used to be our local free-ads paper, now business is mainly done via its web site. For example there is a chap selling Windsor Chair steam bending straps at the moment, and another selling a Kity spindle moulder. Also lathes come up regularly. Prices aren't always that keen but you can haggle, unlike a well known auction site.

I bought my P/T and SCMS that way. The P/T (small Kity) is definitely NOT wonderful, but I didn't pay much for it, and I got a good look over it before parting with cash.

This link goes to the DIY tools section, but you may do better with a wider search.

There must be an equivalent for Cardiff (and west of there), surely?

E.

I've just checked preloved, gumtree, freeads, adtrader etc for thicknessers and there's a SIP something-or-other not too far away. Any ideas what it's like?

Cash Generators and Cash Converter are worth a look for powertools and tile cutters :roll: but don't have bigger stuff.

Mark

difficult to say without knowing the model. It is likely to be similar to the others- 12" or thereabouts, 16000 cuts per minutel. 2 blades. I found one online, now discontinued, and it doesnt look a whole lot different to the dewalt, axminster etc but it is a small external picture. How much are you likely to use it- daily or as a hobby? SIP seems to get mixed reviews, some people love it some hate it. Of course if you can go and see the thing you have an advantage and can see what the build quality is like.

mark aspin":3jlvvoq1 said:
I've just checked preloved, gumtree, freeads, adtrader etc for thicknessers and there's a SIP something-or-other not too far away. Any ideas what it's like?

Cash Generators and Cash Converter are worth a look for powertools and tile cutters :roll: but don't have bigger stuff.

Mark

you probably know, but worth searching for "thickness planer" as well as "thicknesser".

Answer 1) Loud (even outdoors) + chip extractor = double loud.

My neighbours don't care about my peace & quiet when they want to get p&^%"d up & argue/sing/stomp about/leave brats screaming loudly at 3/4/5am so I don't care about planing/hammering at 7/8/9am.

Answer 2) I'd recommend Dewalt - I have one & it does a very good job of planing (even with a dull blade or wide oak boards) but not so good on feeding-in unless taking off only 0.5mm...or perhaps I need to clean/tweak the rollers.

Noise with these and all power tools is an issue, particularly as most of us are very close to our neighbours. I try to restrict my power tool activity to reasonable hours, particularly during the summer when other people may be out in the garden enjoying the sunshine (on those rare ocassions)

I used to have a bench top model. I would often run the machine then then leave the shop to stand outside to listen to the noise levels. I would stand near the fence by the neighbours property to listen. Quite often the machine was barely audible, particularly on windy days or during the day where the noise from other activity such as dogs barking, children playing, traffic noise etc would take the edge off it. At night time it always seemed louder, probably to do with air pressure and less activity nearby.
To combat this I was considering building a basic box lined with insulation to slide over the machine while in operation. I never actually got around to it because I bought a machine with an induction motor.

Bluekingfisher":uo5s6az4 said:
I would often run the machine then then leave the shop to stand outside to listen to the noise levels. I would stand near the fence by the neighbours property to listen. Quite often the machine was barely audible, particularly on windy days or during the day where the noise from other activity such as dogs barking, children playing, traffic noise etc would take the edge off it. At night time it always seemed louder, probably to do with air pressure and less activity nearby.
I've done exactly that with my table saw with dust extractor running. it's surprising how much the noise drops off compared to standing right next to it.

it is a shame that there is a lack of premium benchtop powertools, for which people would consider paying a premium. A 12" benchtop thicknesser with an induction motor is a prime example. Instead we have a race to the bottom with everybody trying to compete only on price. The dewalt thicknesser can be found for a few pounds under 400, and from this thread is both respected and built well. There must be a market for a quiter one, even if it cost £500 or even £600.

The same with bandsaws- there must be a market for a smaller version of the hammer's, with all their accuracy and feature etc, but with an 8" cut

Bluekingfisher":6aqbmqtz said:
Noise with these and all power tools is an issue, particularly as most of us are very close to our neighbours. I try to restrict my power tool activity to reasonable hours, particularly during the summer when other people may be out in the garden enjoying the sunshine (on those rare ocassions)

I used to have a bench top model. I would often run the machine then then leave the shop to stand outside to listen to the noise levels. I would stand near the fence by the neighbours property to listen. Quite often the machine was barely audible, particularly on windy days or during the day where the noise from other activity such as dogs barking, children playing, traffic noise etc would take the edge off it. At night time it always seemed louder, probably to do with air pressure and less activity nearby.
To combat this I was considering building a basic box lined with insulation to slide over the machine while in operation. I never actually got around to it because I bought a machine with an induction motor.

Maybe you are not comparing like with like but does this mean that you have found an induction motor powered benchtop thicknesser? If so do tell me more please David.

TIA

Bob

9fingers":1aok9nb4 said:
... does this mean that you have found an induction motor powered benchtop thicknesser? If so do tell me more please David.

TIA

Bob

lol, just my point...

mark aspin":3pq7xc7j said:
It's surprising how much the noise drops off compared to standing right next to it.

Which is a jolly good reason for wearing ear defenders at the slightest provocation <climbs off horse>.

Seriously, it's an inverse square law, as so many things are, but complicated by reflecting surfaces inside the workshop. Bottom line: much quieter some distance away outside, but everything you can do to help, will.

It's not just that city noise drops off, incidentally, human hearing increases in sensitivity in the evening, too, and by quite a bit.

Additionally, some noises carry further. The obvious one is handheld planers: there's one two streets away here that has been reportedly heard in Northern France. It's an odd one, as you'd think by now he'd have reduced every door in the property to hamster bedding by now. How much planing can one house require?

Seriously, they do, unfortunately radiate in the sweet-spot for noise. High frequencies get reduced by air resistance, low frequencies carry really well but can't be made efficiently by machine tools (usually - don't bet that they can't do it!). there's a middle range that does carry.

Why do Blackbirds sing in the rain and at dusk? Because they enjoyed the movie! And because the moisture makes the air denser then, so their song carries further. It may just be coincidence, but their song doesn't seem to have 'hard consonants' in it either, which would be lost to air resistance.

I'll worry the day I hear a Starling imitating my router table!

:)

Rambling Eric Rumbold.

PS: My Kity 439 has an induction motor, BUT THAT'S NOT A REASON TO GET ONE !!!!

mark aspin":5aqi5bdx said:
Eric The Viking":5aqi5bdx said:
I'll worry the day I hear a Starling imitating my router table!!
Good job then that we don't have lyrebird's here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQjkQpeJwY

He's wonderful -- absolutely superb in fact.

We used to keep these:
2288147520_9b46177245_z.jpg

Who can mimic, but nothing like that!

Well spotted indeed - that made my afternoon!

E.

I've been on the hunt for the perfect P/T set up for a few years. Had a combined induction motor P/T. It wasn't to loud, but still ear defenders. Then I got a CT150 and it just did a lot of rattling so on it went. I didn't like the height of it either. Then I had a bench top P/T, fine machine but the noise was incredible, just too loud for me. I got a big cast iron Wadkin planer earlier in the year and when its running you don't even need to raise your voice. And I've just this week finally got the thicknesser I've been after for awhile, the Jet floor standing model. Induction powered. Haven't picked it up yet but hoping its very quiet - seen a few vids on youTube and it doesn't seem louder than the tablesaw cutting.

Have a good look around, I was told by someone that there is a fox benchtop P/T machine on the market that has an induction motor.

The forces involved in a thicknesser are great. Passing a 12" wide 8'long board of oak through is some ask. These therefore need to be very rigid. Rigid equates to higher gauge steel = higher weight. The brush motors in these I would hazard to be the lightest part of the machine.

Induction motors tend to be much bigger for the same power.

My Dewalt brush motor model is a heavy lift. Tack an induction motor onto this and it would no longer be considered portable. I think the motor is mounted to the top rise and fall lift on most of these bench top models as well. The weight of an induction motor on the rise and fall would probably require more bracing, thus more weight.

I wonder what the weight of that fox model is?

Mine is mounted on a mobile base I built so I don't need to lift it often (thankfully). It is a cracking machine, I just wish it were quieter.

Latest posts

Back