How much would you pay for a second hand band saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
I just saw http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130647593722&fromMakeTrack=trueon Ebay.

I've messaged the seller to ask what year it was made. It looks really small, what could I and couldn't I do with it? I want to make some kid's toys with wood about 1.5 to 3 inches thick, small pieces, no bigger than about 6 inches....to start with! I don't really want to be limited by a saw, but also probably won't make huge things and don't have space even...

Should I try and get this one???

Oooo exciting! A friend once told me he wouldn't pay over £30 for a used power tool. What would you say? Depends on how old it is I guess. I'll post back here when he tells me how old it is.

35 years?!!! Are you serious?!! That's as old as me! Should I really buy something that old?

35 years ago things were made to a standard with pride and quality

Nowadays things are made as cheap as possible for maximum prophet

I would have no problem buying the Imp and as its says in the advert
" Very Heavy "

unlike the lightweight saws now made #-o

Blister":1arbizjk said:
35 years ago things were made to a standard with pride and quality
35 years ago was the Seventies. Not absolutely sure pride and quality were the first things that sprang to my mind...

I hope this 70's thing is some kind of light hearted joke and not really saying this saw would be bad....? I'm confused now!

Honestly, Ives, I couldn't say either way because I don't know the saw. Personally I only apply a (fairly) blanket "old is good" to stuff around the 50s and earlier, but that's just me.

Cheers, Alf
Made in the 70s and showing copious signs of shoddy workmanship these days. #-o

I reckon it will go for something between £50 and £75 I have tried and failed to secure a bandsaw all go between these prices thats for a small one bigger ones even more money I have also been looking for such an item but will not bid on this cos you saw it first no pun intended :D
happy bidding

Dave

That will be of far better quality than almost anything of similar capacity you could buy now.

The seventies were a bit mixed - there was still a lot of good kit being made, and school budgets were such that they tended to buy good stuff. They still taught Woodwork and Metalwork in those days, and equipped accordingly.

Looks a goodun to me. Big chunky motor, cast table, cast covers - should all be nicely rigid. Definitely better than the current far eastern equivalent from Toolstation / Machine Mart etc. It won't do for cutting up whole 8x4 sheets but should be fine for cutting joints and small stuff. I have an old Burgess 3 wheeler (from the 70s!) which is not such good quality as this looks, and I find it invaluable.

Ill second the older is better. You will have heard that age old saying "they don't make um like they used to"!

I don't know the saw to say its a good machine but I own many things including a machine or two thats older then me and there always the tools I reach for first.

Things used to be made to standards, now things are made for profits which means faster builds and in bulk, cheaper lesser quality bits.
Take DeWalt for example (the things they still make themselves). DeWalt used to be the standard even there other brand Black and Decker used to be a really good tool. Now they use cheaper parts and there tools just keep falling apart. Its this reason I only have a few DeWalt bits. A pair of gloves that after a month has holes and seems coming apart, cost me £20 too. A pen that was a gift from a tool shop, the pen broke the first time I tried to used it (ok this is jest as they wouldn't have made the pen) and a Radial Arm Saw. The saw is very old and is still extremely accurate and fully working. I would buy there routers and chop saws as I know there not made by DeWalt.

Anyhow im babbling, normally a sign of sleepy time! They still make insomnia how they used to :p

Webby":1jzf80pi said:
It went for £2.21 ......wow .....did you get it ...bargain

Dave

Yeah, dodgy guy went against Ebay policies and sold it outside of Ebay to someone who saw it there and offered him £80. It's probably because I went and advertised it on here! I won't be doing that again!

Back