How much will this cost me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil Pascoe":115nbs5c said:
RogerS":115nbs5c said:
Getting 'stung' is an emotive word. Sorry but I disagree...anyone going into a Lloyds Syndicate is responsible for their own actions.

As my mother told me from a very young age - don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose. :D

Lloyds pulled a fast one in the 80's, and signed up lots of people who really didn't have sufficient assets to cover potential liabilities. You sign on the line, pledging your house as collateral, and Lloyds sends you free money, every year - what's not to love? The only downside is that, should your syndicate make a loss, you may be asked to raise a few hundred, possibly a few thousand pounds, but it never happens, so don't worry!

Then the US asbestosis claims happened, and a significant proportion of UK middle class wealth was sent to the US lawyering class. Oops.

RogerS":1oz5s5lz said:
Actually I'm all for it. It's the stupid ones who behave as if nothing has happened, queue in NZ for a burger FFS! So they get Covid...great...the cull has started. About time to.

So do you mean covid only kills stupid, or you would like the stupid to die?

doctor Bob":2iapz3o3 said:
RogerS":2iapz3o3 said:
Actually I'm all for it. It's the stupid ones who behave as if nothing has happened, queue in NZ for a burger FFS! So they get Covid...great...the cull has started. About time to.

Hyperbole, Bob. Hyperbole.

doctor Bob":19zi7c0k said:
RogerS":19zi7c0k said:

He's probably one of those old people who goes around saying "I didn't fight in a war just for you young uns to go around enjoying yourselves and having free speech" Despite being in his early 70's. :lol:

Well, he's right then - He didn't fight in a war :twisted:

RogerS":k9pih3k7 said:
doctor Bob":k9pih3k7 said:
RogerS":k9pih3k7 said:

Hyperbole, Bob. Hyperbole.

"Hyperbole" ............. the word most used on these threads.

doctor Bob":vbw5cggm said:
RogerS":vbw5cggm said:

Unfortunately Covid doesn't kill only the stupid - whether in thought or deed - but those stupid people who act selfishly can then easily spread it to the innocent, I've just read that some scientist has had to resign because he broke the lockdown rules to meet his lover (the fact she is married is irrelevant tbh).

Just today I had a run in with a woman in Asda - her young son was standing around clearly bored and just wandering around next to people, one of whom was an elderly man - I told him to move, quite firmly - wherebuy the mother reared up on me asking me "what the **** do you think you are doing?" I said your son is wandering around the aisle clearly not caring about the 2m rule.

She then went on about "he was only 9 and I'm an a-hole" - I said if he is 9 he should know by now about the social distancing after 6 weeks. She then said "he's only 9" again; so I said - if neither you or him are able to understand the social distancing rules and that the risk is as much TO HIM from other people, then you should have left him at home and come shopping ALONE - it's YOUR responsibility to make sure your children adhere to the social distancing and if they don't and get sick that is ON YOU and if people complain and you don't like it, that is ALSO ON YOU, and if you swear at me once more I'll get security to throw you out for causing a public disturbance and breaching the social distancing rules which are meant to protect everyone here including the staff and YOU TWO IDIOTS. How do you know you don't have it ? Have either of you been tested? (and neither of them were wearing gloves or masks. - I was doing both)

I got a few smiles from the other onlookers and a "thank you" from the old gent.

Unfortunately it seems it's the stupid people most likely to cause a second wave, so when RogerS says we can do without them - he's not wrong - sure it's a callous statement depending on your point of view, but when balanced against the evidence so far, it's not an incorrect statement just as "we shouldn't allow people in the uk to openly carry guns - incase they get stupid and kill someone" isn't wrong either and potentially just as deadly.

"The stupid" are the ones least likely to adhere to social distancing, masks, use sanitizer regularly and STAYING INDOORS AND ISOLATING IF THEY FEEL ILL.

just for the sake of clarity for the pedantic, when I say "the stupid" I don't mean intellectually, I mean by deed and there's really no other way to state it.

I'm going to repeat myself: it's the stupid people most likely to cause a second wave - and I'm really starting to lose my patience with them.

I feel bad for those people in that Penygraig Co-Op, one killed and three wounded after a woman went mental with a knife. If the rumor mill is to be believed, it was an argument over social distancing.

Apologies but at the risk of beating a dead horse.... "the stupid" continues....

Today at 11am I had to go to the bank in person to pay some stuff in for a friend who cannot, I drive down Gloucester road, which won't mean anything to non Bristolians, but it's one of the main roads into the centre and is lined with shops for miles.

Heaving with people. Almost like any normal day, shops open with people coming in and out - I don't mean food shops and essentials, I mean shop shops - like a bicycle shop I saw 2 people go in and out, then walk in DIFFERENT directions, a knickknack and gifts shop, a firework shop (presumably people stocking up for the soon to be had massive party) and a host of others.

Virtually no social distancing - I walked in the road because there were too many people on the pavement, shops with pavement front stalls - like the butchers had 4 or 5 people around it, all bunched up and they most definitely were not from the same household.

I talked to the lady controlling and montoring the customer in/out of the bank which thankfully is on a sidestreet and I said "what is GOING ON?" and she said "I have no idea, it's been like this all morning, the streets are filled with people like a normal saturday".

The parking zones which are normally chock a block any given hour were - chock a block, not a single empty spot in sight and I ended up parking near the bottom in a side street and walked a fair way to the bank and back.

Oh yeah - a shop that sells speakers, hifi systems and and music stuff - open.

I get people and companies are losing money - but this wasn't the way to do it - the mixed message from Boris seems to have made some people think the "all clear" has been sounded.

I've advised all of us in the house to continue lockdown and for those in towns and cities I advise you to do the same, because from what I saw today, a second wave is imminent and virtually guarenteed.

This is absolutely no exaggeration - "the stupid" people are out in their hundreds and hundreds.

Surely the Bristol police should be sorting that out ?

EDIT: A quick Google shows that they didn't....from the Bristol Post

The number of reported lockdown breaches to Avon and Somerset Police went up by 25 per cent over the bank holiday weekend - but just two fines were given by officers in Bristol.

As of May 8, the force had recorded 18,615 incidents of suspected breaches since the lockdown came in on March 23 - averaging to around 405 recorded breaches every day.

And between Friday and Sunday, the police recorded a total of 1,643 reports of suspected breaches across the force area - taking the daily average to 547 a day, meaning the number of recorded breaches went up by more than 25 per cent.

Two fines ? Pathetic.

RogerS":nfmfqnap said:
Surely the Bristol police should be sorting that out ?

EDIT: A quick Google shows that they didn't....from the Bristol Post

The number of reported lockdown breaches to Avon and Somerset Police went up by 25 per cent over the bank holiday weekend - but just two fines were given by officers in Bristol.

As of May 8, the force had recorded 18,615 incidents of suspected breaches since the lockdown came in on March 23 - averaging to around 405 recorded breaches every day.

And between Friday and Sunday, the police recorded a total of 1,643 reports of suspected breaches across the force area - taking the daily average to 547 a day, meaning the number of recorded breaches went up by more than 25 per cent.

Two fines ? Pathetic.

Dorset police put a post on face book over the weekend that three men from Slough had the good fortune to call out the Coast Guard when they got cut off by the tide near Old Harry rocks. They will apparently be getting a nasty surprise coming in the post.

Nigel.

This is going to be an interesting litmus test. If the infection rates go through the roof in the next 10 days, then obviously lockdown again is the only option.

But if they don't? Either it's hard to catch outdoors, or everyone has already had it without noticing. Either way, carry on up the Khyber - what could possibly go wrong?

In the interim, it doesn't hurt to let other people be the Guinea pigs.

This morning, on the tube in London
tube.jpg

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 56
Chris152":o2m71mx5 said:
This morning, on the tube in London

The advice is to avoid public transport, but bicycles are best. Pushing cycling hard over the last few days - I have visions of them wanting to turn UK into China of the 1960s, "for the good of the planet", you understand.

83.jpg

Or to put it another way: expect to be significantly poorer, for quite some time.

Back