How much to charge for one's work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm doing this stuff full time now and I offer a product (kitchens) for which I have a developed price structure. But with you guys, how do you decude how much to charge for (for instance) if your next door neighbour asked you to make something for them? Or if you were going into full time woodwork, what would you charge then, say per hour plus materials?
John

johnelliott thats a hard one, it depends on what the job is worth. I know that sounds daft but it holds true. I tend to charge £18 to 25 per hour plus materials. I find that the hourly rate pays for my workshop overheads, me and hopefully if the job goes right a bit of profit.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Bean

john when i was self employed i ended up with a lot of job offers off people who sort of knew me or the wife, and can i do it for half price you will get a few job offers like that .but that type of work wont pay the rent to price a job work out how long it will take what price for materials then add a bit more on top just in case .if you have a bit over thats called profit .best of luck on your venture it might be a bit slow at fist but keep at it .

go get em floyd

frank

If you charge 'mates rates' to the guy next door he will tell his friends etc etc & you will end up working for next to nothing.
Far better to work out a reasonable price, add 10% or so to it, then show him the inflated price & tell him you will do it for the original price you worked out.
Result. He thinks you did it for 10% less & you can put food on the table & money in the bank.

Back