how much to charge for making and fitting oak front door!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinbala

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all. i do woodworking as a hobby in my workshop, i also do some work in people s houses fit skirtings, doors, windows etc but when it comes to money i dont like to charge them, when i add all the hours up i think that it looks expensive!!! i started just doing jobs for family witch i did not mind making on the cheep but ive ended up doing it for other people the same. i have now been asked to make and fit a made to measure oak front door for a farm house old fashon look, the door itself measures 1.1x2m and i know it will take some time to do!! i have not had a price on timber or door furniture yet. could anyone help how i should charge? cheers all,

First of all do not feel embarrassed about charging reasonable rates for your work. Would you expect someone to do work for you without paying them?

I would suggest you start with material costs plus work hours times national minimum wage then add 25,30 40 or whatever % percentage you are comfortable with. Remember this also covers the costs of your tools and experience built up over X number of years.

Think of an overall reasonable price that they should feel happy with. Then see if you can make and fit the door within that budget.

Without knowing the cost of materials or the time needed, I'd think £1,000 reasonable. Now, can you make a profit out of that?

Like you for me woodworking is a hobby. One that I thoroughly enjoy and in which I'm reasonably competent. Also, like you, I get the occasional request to make stuff for people. If it's something I'd actually enjoy the challenge of making and if I'm sure I can do it I may agree BUT only at the same price a tradesman would charge - no freebies or cheapos. Why? Because every time we "amateurs" do work for free or peanuts we are taking work away from those whose livelihood it is and whom I'd really prefer they patronised. I'm not talking of stuff for family or very close friends but those relative strangers or folk up the road who get to know you can "do" woodworking and try to get a job done on the cheap. I'm sure those same people wouldn't take kindly to someone offering to do their job for less for nothing.

RogerP":1k91yp8y said:
Like you for me woodworking is a hobby. One that I thoroughly enjoy and in which I'm reasonably competent. Also, like you, I get the occasional request to make stuff for people. If it's something I'd actually enjoy the challenge of making and if I'm sure I can do it I may agree BUT only at the same price a tradesman would charge - no freebies or cheapos. Why? Because every time we "amateurs" do work for free or peanuts we are taking work away from those whose livelihood it is and whom I'd really prefer they patronised. I'm not talking of stuff for family or very close friends but those relative strangers or folk up the road who get to know you can "do" woodworking and try to get a job done on the cheap. I'm sure those same people wouldn't take kindly to someone offering to do their job for less for nothing.

Spot on, Roger... =D> =D> =D>

RogerP":1vdgocyu said:

Ditto RogerS

=D>

John

RogerP":2uihflhd said:

Wish more people were like you Roger as it is hard enough to make a living as it is at the moment without people doing things on the cheap and taking work away from the guys who do this for a living.
=D> =D>

Tom

RogerP":1ycrl0za said:
A very commendable attitude Roger. In particular, I've known of woodturners who struggle to make a living due to people taking the bread and butter from their mouths in just this way.
At a show once, I heard an onlooker scoff loudly at the (entirely reasonable) prices charged for some very nice work by a professional turner: "He's having a laugh asking that much. I give all my stuff away for nothing!"
With some effort, I restained myself from starting an argument. Whatever his chosen calling was, I wonder how he would have felt about people loudly offering to do his work for free.

I made one of a similar size for my workshop and it wasn't the easiest\quickest thing to do. Enjoyable tho - but only because it was for my own use.

I'd be wanting at least £1k to make that for someone else - with it being oak, i.e. material costs being higher, I'd look to charge more.

I agree with RogerP's post, but I also look at it from a slightly different side as well - folk out there would want you to do a freebie\cheapie, but how many would reciprocate? So now - I'd realistically only entertain doing freebies\cheapies for folk who would bail my @rse out of an emergency at 4 in the morning, several hundred miles away.

Dibs

A friend of mine had an oak front door and frame made and fitted a few years ago. It was very nicely done but nothing special. From memory, she paid about £3,000 for it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Dibs-h":15nmm64l said:
....So now - I'd realistically only entertain doing freebies\cheapies for folk who would bail my @rse out of an emergency at 4 in the morning, several hundred miles away.

Dibs

Reminds me of the definition of a true friend. One who will help you bury the body!

Yep - what the other Roger said. Last year we had a quote for a glazed front door and a 4 sash bay window in idigbo that came to £5,500. We didn't run with it!

RogerM":2qbdz3xs said:
Yep - what the other Roger said. Last year we had a quote for a glazed front door and a 4 sash bay window in idigbo that came to £5,500. We didn't run with it!

Then I am definitely going to do my own kitchen!

John :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":neausdfs said:
RogerM":neausdfs said:

Then I am definitely going to do my own kitchen!

John :mrgreen:

And why do you think I'm doing my own windows and folding sliding doors in my extension before I even start on the kitchen fitting?! :mrgreen: (hammer) I reckon I'll save £20k - and I've already worked out how to spend the saving, although not discussed with SWMBO yet! :-" :-$

I have just priced up an oak door with frame and aluminium threshold at 1380 euros, just a bog standard double glazed panel at the top and oak boards below.

I reckon I can make a profit on that but not a huge one.

With some of the prices described above there is clearly a difference between how much something costs to make / fit and what people will pay.

I am currently finding myself being under cut by others who offer cheaper services but they are not always qualified or insured.

Don't forget to add a percentage for going back every time the weather changes and the oak moves !!

Regards Sue

I'm mid way through making an internal door. Considering how slow I'm going, I think I would end up having to charge someone at least £1k for labour alone. The door I am making is a six panel door (3 on 3) with ovolo mouldings around the panels, I was quoted £330 by a local joiner.

David

sue denim":1xncjja1 said:
I have just priced up an oak door with frame and aluminium threshold at 1380 euros, just a bog standard double glazed panel at the top and oak boards below.

I reckon I can make a profit on that but not a huge one.

With some of the prices described above there is clearly a difference between how much something costs to make / fit and what people will pay.

I am currently finding myself being under cut by others who offer cheaper services but they are not always qualified or insured.

Don't forget to add a percentage for going back every time the weather changes and the oak moves !!

Regards Sue
Yep, once you are doing things on the French system, the charges are eye-watering, n'est pas?

Back