How much and where to get Russian birch plywood grade BB/BB

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mannie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. So please be gentle.

I'm battling to figure out how much good quality Russian (Baltic) birch plywood sheets should cost and where is the best place to get them. I'm in Andover in Hampshire.
I've done a ton of reading up on the web and it looks like for furniture grade I should be looking at BB/BB grade. With birch making up all the layers of the ply.
The sheet sizes I'm used to working with are 2440 x 1220mm and I use 6mm through to 18mm sheets. But the places I've tried around me have really bad quality ply and I tried ordering from one place on ebay and the ply looked was okay until I cut it up. Lots of voids and the tear out was bad even with taping before cutting and using a 100 tooth crosscut saw blade.

Sorry if any of this sounds like amateur hour but I'm learning as fast as I can.

Any suggestion on where can local some and what it should cost.

Thanks

I got some from Latham’s a few months ago that was good quality. You have to ask for the specific grade you want though.

I'm no expert, but the best price I found in Nottingham is from Gibbs and Dandy. I've been happy with the quality of the boards they keep in stock

It looks like you have to travel a way to find one of their branches :-(
(Farnborough, Portsmouth or Bournemouth)

Mannie":2lk17j21 said:
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum. So please be gentle.

I'm battling to figure out how much good quality Russian (Baltic) birch plywood sheets should cost and where is the best place to get them. I'm in Andover in Hampshire.
I've done a ton of reading up on the web and it looks like for furniture grade I should be looking at BB/BB grade. With birch making up all the layers of the ply.
The sheet sizes I'm used to working with are 2440 x 1220mm and I use 6mm through to 18mm sheets. But the places I've tried around me have really bad quality ply and I tried ordering from one place on ebay and the ply looked was okay until I cut it up. Lots of voids and the tear out was bad even with taping before cutting and using a 100 tooth crosscut saw blade.

Sorry if any of this sounds like amateur hour but I'm learning as fast as I can.

Any suggestion on where can local some and what it should cost.

Thanks
Probably one of the most asked questions on the forum, so it would be worth doing a search.

Places like B&Q and other chain timber and builders merchants typically don't stock quality birch plywood.

As others have said Lathams is one place that does.

Price wise, for an 18mm full sheet of decent grade Baltic birch is going to be around £60-80 inc VAT.

I have a source up here in North Yorkshire where I can get that for £45, but that's not typical.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I'm in Hampshire, I mainly use Lathams or Timbmet.

Be suspicious if you see a "bargain", even within graded products like ply there is still room for quality variations, ie stock that's been badly stored or handled within the distribution pipeline.

Incidentally, for furniture I want B/BB, with B as the show face.

I've had some 15mm bb/bb from buildermerchant on t'ebaee - it's ~£80 though - I think a lot of the cost is to pay for the 'free' shipping. They are in Tilbury so you might be able to go and pick up.

The ply was excellent quality. I've had no voids in it.

ScaredyCat":1k8gnxy6 said:
I've had some 15mm bb/bb from buildermerchant on t'ebaee - it's ~£80 though - I think a lot of the cost is to pay for the 'free' shipping. They are in Tilbury so you might be able to go and pick up.

The ply was excellent quality. I've had no voids in it.
I'm not far from tilbury. Do you remember the seller name?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back