How many of you use a hand saw as your main way of ripping?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sloppy use of language, no pop at Jacob or saw nibs. Seems as good an explanation as any and has common sense reasoning behind it. More to do with Nibs tbh and saying hello and the nature of the internet community in general really. It just made me chuckle. That was it.
The use of the word degenerated and the phrase 'personal debate' was lazy. There's probably far more apt ones, but I'm as tired as last night so I still can't think of them.
A light hearted comment on the nature of internet forum chats sparking minor controversy over misunderstanding of the intent of said comments and getting sidetracked has almost by a miracle become side tracked as a light hearted comment on the internet being misinterpreted from the original intent of it's meaning.

It's almost as if we find it hard to decipher text only interactions with people we will never meet and have no understanding of other than the persona they wish to portray anonymously when the one common bond many of us have is, and will only ever be, an interest in all things wood. Or some things wood. Or just turning wood. Or CNC . Or 'I used to love wood until Wadkin came along.... Even there, the differences are staggering, never mind, age, social intricacies, all the usual obstacles in real life to people forming actual real relationships.

The fact that the forum works at all is a marvel. This forum, any forum on the internet.
No offence meant personally John. To you or Jacob. Lets make that clear. :wink:
Best regards
Chris

No prob no offence taken!
I admit I was surprised that that "noobody knoows what the niib is foor :roll: " brigade stayed quiet. :lol:

Bm101":n3qjd4ni said:
Just sloppy use of language, no pop at Jacob or saw nibs. Seems as good an explanation as any and has common sense reasoning behind it. More to do with Nibs tbh and saying hello and the nature of the internet community in general really. It just made me chuckle. That was it.
The use of the word degenerated and the phrase 'personal debate' was lazy. There's probably far more apt ones, but I'm as tired as last night so I still can't think of them.
A light hearted comment on the nature of internet forum chats sparking minor controversy over misunderstanding of the intent of said comments and getting sidetracked has almost by a miracle become side tracked as a light hearted comment on the internet being misinterpreted from the original intent of it's meaning.

It's almost as if we find it hard to decipher text only interactions with people we will never meet and have no understanding of other than the persona they wish to portray anonymously when the one common bond many of us have is, and will only ever be, an interest in all things wood. Or some things wood. Or just turning wood. Or CNC . Or 'I used to love wood until Wadkin came along.... Even there, the differences are staggering, never mind, age, social intricacies, all the usual obstacles in real life to people forming actual real relationships.

The fact that the forum works at all is a marvel. This forum, any forum on the internet.
No offence meant personally John. To you or Jacob. Lets make that clear. :wink:
Best regards
Chris
I have no beef with you, Chris. I just get a bit tired of the Jacob haters.
John

Much as I love Jacob, he is all over the shop on the whole nib business.

nabs":2do95q6a said:
:lol:
Go on then - do you have a better explanation of what it's for?

A good tip for hand ripping is to keep it to an absolute minimum. When working with machines it's not too hard to get everything to absolute set thicknesses and widths. However, when working by hand try to work with what you have a bit, it's also surprising how component sizes can vary on antique pieces without detriment to their overall look. If you work from a book of set designs, perhaps tweak them a bit?

Also, "ripping" is not too bad, and for furniture work anything in excess of 50mm would be rare. However "deeping" is another matter. This is the long grain cut you might make if you had an nice piece of quarter sawn oak, say 7inch or so wide by a full inch and you wanted to split it to make two drawer sides. This is where it is worth watching DW's video as it shows what you a standard to aim for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GHQwYoux0

Jacob":16f8v42e said:
nabs":16f8v42e said:

I have been told by people who know more about saws and using them than I ever will that the nib was a guide to stop you pulling the saw out of the work. Unless someone can offer better explanation I am with Jacob on this one. :D

HappyHacker":38d3i135 said:
Jacob":38d3i135 said:
nabs":38d3i135 said:

I have been told by people who know more about saws and using them than I ever will that the nib was a guide to stop you pulling the saw out of the work. Unless someone can offer better explanation I am with Jacob on this one. :D
Thanks!
It's dead obvious really, and useful. Must have saved millions of saws from getting a premature kink - especially with beginners, or with saws of unfamiliar lengths.
Very weird that it's an issue.

Jacob":3j7i0jfp said:
No prob no offence taken!
I admit I was surprised that that "noobody knoows what the niib is foor :roll: " brigade stayed quiet. :lol:

Clearly, it was designed by a futurist to create an internet argument.

Latest posts

Back