• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

how many courses of brick before the wood frame??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Following MikeG's instructions to the letter :ROFLMAO:

or how to lay bricks with a cold

Where did you get that pick, that must be deliberate

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a very traditional style. You see it around here, often mixed with flint, and with broken tiles built in as well. Some people erroneously call it a clunch wall (clunch is a weird stone.....more on that if you're really bored). This is a bit "samey" to match that vernacular, but nonetheless, apart from the ghastly mortar, that will make an attractive wall.

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
...(clunch is a weird stone.....more on that if you're really bored). ....
Chalk by another name! We've quite a bit of that round here - usually dressed rather than rough/random.
I hadn't realised that the term has been misused/expanded to describe not just the chalky stone material (whether dressed/shaped or not) to cover any wall made of inferior material - often in a rough/ragstone way, but not necessarily esp. "clunch-built" (which often as not, if Google is to be believed, has no clunch in it!).

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, chalk, but it's dug up from the ground wet, and doesn't dry into something hard for quite a while. This means it can be rough shaped with a spade/ adze/ axe/ froe, then set aside to harden. Around here it is sometimes used to build a whole building, and sometimes just used as quoins for a flint walled place.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I for one would rather see a wall like this any day of the week rather than a flat expanse of stretcher bond.

Reaction score
If they were odd sized/shaped bricks it might look better. But the fact that they're regular sized/shaped bricks makes it just look messy. I'd also guess that this would actually take more effort and more forethought ... so no .. I don't see the point.

Rorschach

Reaction score
The fact it is so bad must make it intentional and they are keeping to quite a neat string line at the top it seems.

sammy.se

Established Member
Reaction score
The funniest thing is that I can see a couple of string lines, to keep things straight :-D