How many candles are burning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• 0-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30

• 30-40

• 40-50

• 50-60

• 60-70

• 70+

• Total voters

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know about what age everyone is in here - I'll start the ball rolling then.

28 8)

Adam

Also, did you (like me) continue an interest without a break straight from your school days, or did you startup later in life?

I'm 18, have been interested in woodwork/tools since I can remember. Our school teacher didn't let us do an 'real' woodworking, just models ands stuff.

Ho ho ho. :roll: and SDA is a pensioner right?

Adam

He's not kidding, Adam. :shock:

Could some "mature" woodworkers please stand up/get themselves helped up and be counted? I'm starting to feel old...

No woodwork at school for me; had to learn how to torture wood all by myself from about 9 yrs old. Been making those wood fibres scream ever since :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I turned forty last september,at the top of the hill looking down now :shock:
became a carpenter when i was 18 and have been butchering wood ever since . Started to carve a couple of years ago and its my no1 love, wished id got into it earlier

Cheers Steve

36, go on the 30 sumfings!

Sad isnt it, I had to work it out on my calculator
and then I had to ring my mum to make sure :oops:

Early onset of old timers disease I spose :lol:

Signal

I have managed to reach the age when I can officially be refered to as a GOG(grumpy old git) i.e 65.Don't remember woodwork at school,Don't remember school much for that matter.I always wanted to do woodwork but had a great ability for cutting wood short.Measure four times cut once,still too short.Following a serious illness I watched a lot of telly,Norm seemed to make woodwork look easy.After hundreds of pounds spent on tools I can just about cut a piece of wood to length(sometimes)

wrong end of the big 40
had a ball of a time doing both woodwork and metal work at school
spent may years behind desks then 15 years ago decided to use those craft skills to try and ern a living (mistake ) iv enow trained an aprentice to work for and with me allowing me time to get back to changing the shape of timber as a past time.
ive a constant reminder of my school wood working in a desk i made way back then in teak, this i have sitting next to me in my littlle home office.

Dave W

As old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth (which are all my own, I hasten to add).

Yours indignantly

Gill

Well I admit to of having had this years birthday. Next one is No. 50 8) I stood up for counting, can I sit down again now :D :p

I can remember woodwork at school, I got cross as you had to choose between it and metal work :cry: I have done a fair bit of both over the years. Earned my teenage pocket money working in a small builders yard. I was the fence panel King. :shock:

I work in the computer/IT industry as a Technical Consultant (No rude comments please). I get to do all the odd things most of the team will not touch. Like reworking equipment cabinets to hold kit not designed for that type of cabinet.

I have had many questions about how to do things from the less practical members of our group. Even brought home bits of wood that needed squaring and cutting to length, when the boyfriend could not do it :roll:

DaveL":2c9ijkp6 said:
Even brought home bits of wood that needed squaring and cutting to length, when the boyfriend could not do it :roll:

Dave, you really must introduce your boyfriend to your workshop!

Yours

Gill (Thank goodness Frank doesn't need the bunker any more!)

60 but while I need glasses to see what I am doing to a dovetail, as long as I can still get my knee down on my bike I don't care - so there! Honest I don't - after all, one gets so much wiser as one gets older, sort of makes up for getting uglier, really it does, honest!

GillD":1q3t75w1 said:
DaveL":1q3t75w1 said:
Even brought home bits of wood that needed squaring and cutting to length, when the boyfriend could not do it :roll:

Dave, you really must introduce your boyfriend to your workshop!

I always manage to dig a hole :lol: who is next for the spade :?:

61 now. Working life spent in Surrey 'til I retired at 48 in 1991. Moved to Hereford for some peace and quiet on 1995 - will never go back, this place is heaven. :lol: Always done DIY, of all sorts - only thing I won't touch is gas, but that's okay 'cos there's none here.

Converted the stable in a coach house for woodturning three years ago - self-taught and learnt loads since. Now branching out into furniture making but all only as a pastime.

Like W.37 also need the old specs for close work and also ride a bike. Seem to have gained a modicum of sense and slowed down a bit so now mount a GoldWing. 8) Didn't tell SWMBO about it before I bought it, just explained to her the need for it when I got it home. :twisted: :twisted: Pleased at her GSOH. :lol: Problem arises on warm summer days - is it to be the workshop or a ride into the hills. :? Ashamed to say the Wing often wins. :oops:

40 last year. OMG i had to check the 40-50 box!!!

Woodwork is a hobby although as time goes by the thought of working full time "wiv me ands" appeals more and more. Very jealous of retiring at 48, its just not gona happen for me :(

Discovered woodturning in Sept. and got a lathe for my birthday, now the house is full of useless turned objects and trampled shavings. :oops:

Aidan

Hi Aidan

Aidan":254qlqa4 said:
OMG i had to check the 40-50 box!!!

I've just realised that I had to check the 50-60 box. :shock:

Mind you, you can always get away with things as everybody knows that you have "senior moments". :wink:

Cheers
Neil

I had a real one here as I waaas logged in!!!

Just by way of a little encouragement, Aidan, look on the bright side - you've still got another 9 years before you'll have to tick the 50-60 box! :wink:

Yep, I consider myself lucky that I retired so early but don't think I'm rich 'cos I'm not! Our choice was to stay in the south-east to try to earn loadsamoney or get out for the peace and quiet - the peace and quiet won hands down! :D :D

All the best - you're still only 40 - wish I was. :wink:

Cheers, Trev.

30 + 6 yrs old ,i remember at school i thought 20 was old and at 30 you were practically drawing a pension . when i reached 20 i thought well 20 not old but 30 is , when i hit 30 i thought 30 aint that old will probably think 40 is not too old when i get there. Weird how time changes your perspective on age :roll: .

A 55, however some mornings it feels like 85. (thats Mondays)
However you are only as old as the young woman that you are busy feeling! :D :D :D

Back