How many candles are burning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• 0-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30

• 30-40

• 40-50

• 50-60

• 60-70

• 70+

• Total voters
Hi,
seeing this thread has raised its head again I thought I had better put a little bit down about myself seeing as I am a newbie and most people do not know me as I don't get to the shows very often. Well here goes, I am 51 years of age and had to retire due to ill health over 10 years ago. I got a kicking one night and have spent most of the time since then in a wheelchair. I have always had an interest in woodworking since I was at school but due to my workload it took a backseat got back into woodworking due to my other hobby breeding and showing cats about 18 months ago we needed a new kittening pen and I was not impressed with the commercially available ones which where made out of steel bars they looked terrible and what do you do with them when you haven't got any kittens so I made my first kittening pen a couple of other breeders saw it and I have been making them ever since I think it stands at 13 now, you have got to be a bit potty to breed cats and show them you travel all over the country and europe to show them and all you get at the end of it is a rosette and a trophy if you win. Sorry if I have rambled on a little.

All the best,

Rosco ( Chris ).

44, carrying a body wrecked by 18 years military service (infantry, carrying up to 100lbs on the back - go and lift a 7 stone machine some time :roll:) .. and about 10 years of serious rugby... My back sometimes allows me to get up in the mornings...

That said, totally agree with the advice to youngsters here: get on with life! You never know what's around the corner, and suddenly you're too old/committed/damaged/tied down, to climb that mountain/canoe those rapids... (Although, actually, I've taken that advice to heart, and now spend as much time as possible hanging from coloured bits of silk floating around the south west paragliding, and make a point of skiing dangerously every winter... :D)

Did the standard (for the time) metal and woodworking at school, but only really got stuck in when SWMBO refused to sleep in an army issue bed, and I refused to pay high street prices for obvious junk. That bed lasted us 15 years...

Can't believe I'm 50 this October!!!!! Steve Maskery, Hi mate...Good news...........I think. Believe baldness DOES come from your mother's side....(Guess whose dad was bald......damn it!!) Upside is, I save a fortune on combs & hair gel. LOML trims what's left with lecky shears so I guess I can't whine really. (I will though). Only worry now is I tend to see crisp packets in the front garden these days & go into 'Meldrew melt-down' 'I DON'T BELIEEEEEEEEVE IT!!!!!!!!!'

Cheers guys, Sliver.

Hi

43, Had the choice of metalwork or woodwork at school and chose the wrong one, started working life as a mechanic then had the choice of redundancy or retrain, took retrain option still the wrong choice, have always been keen on DIY but never really got into real woodworking until a couple of years ago, when when my neighbour who is a retired carpenter, talked me into joining him at the local collage to make a pair of garage doors to replace the ones that had fell off (slight exaggeration, in desperate need of repair). I kept saying if i only had a workshop and some decent tools......have now got a workshop/shed just need some decent tools

Paul

Hi

I'm 45 and1/4 , I didn't realise how old, until I wittered for the umpteenth time about buying a new table saw, and my wife, bless her, said "For god's sake you're nearly 50 if you don't have one now when will you?" .After a rest and a whisky I decided she was probably/usually right. I've always been interested in wood..I took over the summerhouse when I was a kid and built model planes from balsa and fiddled with electronics. Went to school, very proud of my grade A o level in woodwork, parents not so proud of my D in English. Didn't know what to do for a job, so ended up in BT and have installed/ ripped out various sorts of telecoms infrastucture over the years. Currently playing around ADSL optic fibres etc. Have built flown radio control models and taught others to fly. Done the usual house extension rebuild etc Now coming back to my true wish woodwork. I have built a few things over the years and over time will post info on workshop summerhouse and rocking horses.

It's great to have found this forum, inspirational

Cheers Alan

Woody,
Your wife is plainly blessed with a lot of common sense (she said go ahead - on a woodworking kick when you might have come up with the same justification for a Ferrari!).

Fortunately, you will find lots of sensible people here who will be able to persuade you that it is only sensible to spend at least as much on tools as a Ferrari.:lol: :lol:

Chris

Shhh she might see this thread, don't let her know she's right... she wouldn't let me buy a new plasma screen because we already have a big telly (yeah right like it can ever be big enough), and a plasma won't help make furniture, or I suspect get me out of the house :lol:

As for ferrari's well you can only get to A or B in one no where to put your tool box who'd have one? pah! not me :^o .

I forgot about that...I built a kitcar once, MG TF replica based on a triumph vitesse but used a 2.5 engine from a triumph 2500S saloon

Cheers Alan

me? 26 looks like I`m in the "younger" section of the forum 8)

any "sonny" comments will not be accepted warmly :?

the other day I was called "that man" by a women telling off her young boy for stepping on my foot 8)

*grinz*

steve

Actual age = 36. Imagined age = 12! Feel about 10 years younger now that I'm not inside an office all day!

First grey hair noted the other day (been a trying few months!) - my wife says it looks distinguished, bless her. Don't think this comment works if reciprocated!

Didn't enjoy the transition over 35 at all - now having to tick box 35 -45 on most forms rather than 25-34!

In the pub the other night with a bunch of mates, apparently because of increasing longevity, any change in career direction in your thirties is now known as a QLC - Quarter life crisis! I don't care about the maths, I'm sticking with it! :lol:

Cheers

Tim

tim":ld9pqr84 said:
First grey hair noted the other day

I'm worried about the amount of grey in my hair :? , but not for the same reasons as everyone else. There should be loads by now, but it just hasn't arrived. Ah well, perhaps it's hereditary; my mother didn't start to turn grey until her sixties.

'Sfunny, but a lot of people I meet seem to turn grey shortly after.

Gill

The real time to worry is when you realise that you are going to the chemist to look at lady's hair colorant instead of what you used to go there for 20 years previously.

Rosco ( Chris ).

I'm 49, JUST!! What is left of my hair could pass for 0000 wire wool and that includes chest hair (beat that if you dare Alf). I got into w'working when I was 8, 'helping' Dad. There was a hiatus when my tertiary education came along, but it got into full swing again with the purchase of a 1903 house that I had to rebuild and furnish. Three energetic teenagers have taken their toll of my free time, but I'm now limbering (lumbering?) up for the school holidays and first is going to be a complete workshop refurb. Gill, thanks for the stimulus of your photaes.

PS Wot did the panel fink of last week's Grand Designs? Smashing? All that exposed pine overpowering?

PPS Form Four apparently believe that: "the lens in the eye focuses light onto the rectum......"

Sam

SammieQ":3udx2dew said:
my hair could pass for 0000 wire wool and that includes chest hair (beat that if you dare Alf).
0000 wire wool? Nah, can't beat it. My hair's not nearly as fine as that. :? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Loved Grand Designs last week. I'm now in a quandry; is my dream to build a Finnish log cabin or a hay bale one? Of course if the Big Bad Wolf comes along I'll wish I'd used bricks anyway... #-o

SammiQ":2m72z8qp said:
PS Wot did the panel fink of last week's Grand Designs? Smashing? All that exposed pine overpowering?

Liked the idea -but in practice thought it looked like the inside of a sauna - far too much pine for my liking!

SammiQ":2m72z8qp said:
PPS Form Four apparently believe that: "the lens in the eye focuses light onto the rectum......"

Could be dangerous - thats where the sun shines from in my case! :D
Cheers

T

Back