How many active turners remain in UKWorkshop ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, in New here, been turning 2.5 years... I create projects in between my drawings and love it.... Sorry can't seem to upload a photo from my phone, also I can't update my profile pik... I'll try from the old PC... my works can be seen at... www.Instagram.com/adampinson

Hellooooo, this is a test, can't seem to add photos when using my phone! Ghost in the machine.......!

Can't help you with the phone thing as I use it as a phone and text's only
Do my photos on the computer at home
Think i figured it out... i changed browsers, it's picky.... now i'm cooking with gas..... cheers

Strange that , If you post the images and ask for critique the more experianced turners could then offer help and advice , If you don't want and commets just say so when you upload the images .

I totally agree. No one is going to take the mickey but will give advice on how to improve.

It's not that I'm worried that I'd get negative comments. I'd "crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, drink the sand" for a negative comment - it's that they get no comments, which seems like a "meh" response. Critique is very much welcome, I've only started doing turning since Feb.

I sold my wood lathe last summer, it took too much space and was used to little. I still have my metal lathe though.

I am thinking a Record DML250 would be a suitable lathe for me to get some day. Something I can just put away on a shelf when not using it.

I almost only ever turn handles for tools.

I am a regular hobby woodturner. Usually at least once a week I will spend a few hours on it. Although this morning I accidentally kicked the cable going to the inverter and now it's not working :unsure:

Yes, I still sometimes turn, but normally as part of something else I am making. Still gives me a lot of pleasure

Hi,

I turn when I can; 30 years working on our bungalow and when I'd finally completed it then the last 3 years working in the mountain of our garden; now I've finally caught up it's much too cold to wander down to the workshop but I'm geared up for a lot of turning once I can get into the workshop in comfort. I do keep having a go and recently turned my first goblet out of an home grown holly log; I've just completed making a center steady and I want to concentrate on goblets and wassail bowls; I've had a Peter Child pyrography kit for at least two years and want to use this on turned work also I want to add router decoration; if only our dire climate would dry and warm up. I almost forgot; I was rained off one day the rain coming down like pencils so I turned my lovely wife a pair of wooden mice as a surprise present and she loves them; the mice have also been well received on forums.

We're in tier 3 Covid but have just been for a 30 mile trip in the car just the two of us not stopping to meet anyone but just to get my wife out who hasn't been in a store since before March and to charge the car battery.

Kind regards, Colin.

Chatter work._0001.JPG

I had a go at chatter work a few years ago only doing this as a test piece.

Chatter work._0002.JPG

I like making tools this is my chatter tool and I made a copy of it for a woodturning chum.

Goblet_0001.JPG

My first attempt at turning a goblet it being holly and finished sizes about 8" x 3".

Goblet_0006.JPG

The finished goblet. I've just bought 4" square sycamore spindle blanks and I've built up a big stock of assorted blanks.

Lathe steady_0004_01.JPG

The newly completed center steady; any excuse to use my welding kit too.

Lathe steady_0005_01.JPG

Steady tested for fit and it's solid as a rock.

Turned mice_0003.JPG

Everyone who sees these mice love them; I can't take full credit though I got the idea from a YouTube video.

Last edited:
Hi all....started last year and find it interesting...started with an old Sealey but have moved up to Axminster 355...just right for me. I’m up for messages about turning....if anyone is up for it....
I’m an ex engineer....metal turner by trade
All my own work.....each ne original

Attachments

• C6CF5B26-75C1-4EC8-A30D-78D1578E085A.jpeg
    C6CF5B26-75C1-4EC8-A30D-78D1578E085A.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 692379D3-8483-4D20-9629-FF41DB602752.jpeg
    692379D3-8483-4D20-9629-FF41DB602752.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
I do a bit. Mostly repro knobs or feet for furniture items. I'm just making two more of these tables and will be turning 8 knobs, or more likely a lot of knobs until I can find matching sets of four. These are cherry. I try to collect hedgerow and pruning stuff if it's big enough. I've got a lot of knob size laburnam.
I keep meaning to do a very big batch because they do get consistent and quicker if you do enough
IMG_3248.jpg

I'm still here. Still learning and turning after about 25 years. The day I stop learning about it will be the day the lid goes on me-thinks.

My CL1 is about 23 years old and just about worn in now. The main difference with it from standard is it's now got a 3ø variable speed motor on it and that takes it to a different level!

Still turning but my lathe also doubles up as a sanding station with big disk and a table mounted on it. Also runs my metal polishing mops, so gets lots of use

Back