How long?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my new Record BS 300E bandsaw built up out of the box and spent time getting it square and after making a few rip and cross cuts it does appear to be very accurate. I had removed the blade that came with it and fitted a Tuff Saw one which had been recommended I should do on the forum, and which I'd pre ordered.

Just one question, bearing in mind I'm completely new to bandsaws, I read that if the saw it not in use I should de-tension the blade! What sort of period are we talking about here, overnight, a few days, a week?

Appreciate any advice on this or anything else I ought to watch out for and should do!

Thanks.d

I'm sure others will disagree but I've had my Basato 3 for 15 years or so and the only time I de-tension it is when I change the blade.
Never had any trouble with blades which I get from TuffSaws or Bedford Saw company.
David

You will get lots of different opinions on here. I have the BS 350, using Tuff Saw M42 1/2 inch blade. I never de-tension the saw. If you do, you have to tension it, then open the door and give the blade a turn to make sure it's still centred on the wheel. I haven't had any problems.

I had a modern Startrite 352 which I think is a similar build to your machine. I had left it tensioned up for a year or so and hadn't use it. The next time I turned it on, the wheel tyres disintegrated with quite a spectacular noise!

If you are using the bandsaw regularly, you probably don't need to worry about it. If you go long periods of time between use, I would take the tension off to save any problems.

Ask five people and receive seven answers, all of which might be correct. I have the RP B350S, which has a lever to de-tension the blade without changing the spring tension adjustment. I don't use my saw often, so I rotate the lever and de-tension when I'm done for the day.

When I am ready to use it again, I turn the lever and start cutting. In my experience, no matter where the blade is on the wheels when tension is applied, it quickly centers correctly without any assistance from me.

Got my new Record BS 300E bandsaw built up out of the box and spent time getting it square and after making a few rip and cross cuts it does appear to be very accurate. I had removed the blade that came with it and fitted a Tuff Saw one which had been recommended I should do on the forum, and which I'd pre ordered.

Just one question, bearing in mind I'm completely new to bandsaws, I read that if the saw it not in use I should de-tension the blade! What sort of period are we talking about here, overnight, a few days, a week?

Appreciate any advice on this or anything else I ought to watch out for and should do!

Thanks.d
Nice saw. I have one too, the blade that comes with it is utter pony.

I have the same bandsaw. Were I to use it daily, I'd consider leaving it tensioned. I don't, so I loosen
the tension after each use / session.
Mines a good few years old and it gets harder and harder to heave that lever over 120 degrees.
I've tried to ease it with oil / grease, nothing seems to make it easier. YMMV

Same here; my use is so irregular that I do detension the blade.
I can't imagine that continued pressure on the tyres, without them
moving, will do any good at all.
If I were using it regularly and frequently I would probably leave
it tensioned.

I usually detension at the end of the day as that was the advice I got when I first got a bandsaw. I think its more to do with keeping the tyres from getting flat spots than the overall strain on blade or frame. There have been times I forgot and its sat there tensioned for weeks with no problems so who really knows. Overall I figure to err on the side of caution and taking the tension off really can't hurt.
Regards
John

Back