How Long would it take you to Make new Kitchen cabinets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random Orbital Bob":30cnckz3 said:
His clients, especially the designer types, seem to rate F&B the most.
But is that driven by his clients, or his clients'-clients?

Weekend-colour-supplement -reading-types have had the notion that F&B is "THE" paint crammed down their necks for decades (bit like Fired Earth).

They're very much brand driven, they're not going to be checking pigment proportion, binder mix, metamerism and all the rest.

BugBear

Quite probable BB, there's definitely some sniffy factor to F&B. That's the reason I cited the fact my mate is in the industry and his rating of it relates to it's technical quality ie he does believe it's good paint. But his caveat of it being over priced almost certainly relates to the branding thing you discuss ie you're paying a premium for all that advertising

I'm no paint expert but I have one huge grievance with F&B, they refuse to recommend how their products perform in conjunction with non F&B products...even though they don't manufacture a complete range of decorating products. So if you ask them to recommend something like a compatible knotting they'll refuse to give advice. Compare that attitude with say Little Greene, who are pragmatic, knowledgeable, and very helpful.

Actually I have another grievance with F&B! Every client's house I see is painted with Elephants Breath or Downpipe or whatever is their colour of the year, so it all becomes a bit of a cliche.

mbartlett99":3t7o1jkp said:
...Like the F &B but boy it doesn't half change colour depending on the light.
Interesting - that's the complete opposite of my experience with F&B - it's been exceptionally stable, very low metamerism.

Re. The 'sniffiness' of F&B types; I once had a client say to me with a perfectly straight face that F&B was '...fine for the country, but you really need Paint and Paper Library in town.' :)

F&B, Little Greene, Paint & Paper Library, Fired Earth, Designers Guild, I've used them all and found very little to choose between them tbh, though F&B exterior eggshell is a much nicer paint to work with than their interior eggshell, fwiw.

Cheers, Pete

petermillard":32hxvg5j said:
mbartlett99":32hxvg5j said:
Interesting - that's the complete opposite of my experience with F&B - it's been exceptionally stable, very low metamerism.

Re. The 'sniffiness' of F&B types; I once had a client say to me with a perfectly straight face that F&B was '...fine for the country, but you really need Paint and Paper Library in town.' :)

F&B, Little Greene, Paint & Paper Library, Fired Earth, Designers Guild, I've used them all and found very little to choose between them tbh, though F&B exterior eggshell is a much nicer paint to work with than their interior eggshell, fwiw.

Cheers, Pete

Hello,

Funny, but I always thought F&B looks different in different lights, but actually think it is part of the charm if it. Pale powder being a particular good example. I spent a day fitting something in a customer's house, and couldn't tell whether their walls were pink or green at different times of the day. I asked them the colour and then checked on a colour card to find out that pale powder is blue! But metamerism is good in a home, I like the way the mood changes from morning to afternoon; summer or winter.

F&B oil eggshell was fabulous to paint with and long lasting, pity the EU put an end to it, I've never found anything quite as good performing since. Little Green oil eggshell is next best, do they still do that, it's been a couple of years since I've had any?

Mike.

petermillard":2trtqytt said:
mbartlett99":2trtqytt said:

Cheers, Pete

I shouid've been more precise, my bad. I wouldn't say it changed once its up ie faded. An example would be; my sisters kitchen is painted in Palma Grey, looks lovely, I painted my kitchen walls in same - completely different colour. Whether that's a matter of substrate or amount of sunlight/colour temperature I don't know but you wouldn't believe they were the same paints.

F & B has become the go to name now, just fashion I guess. No doubt it will be another brand in a few years.

On the Belfast sink thing when I built my kitchen I got a big double Belfast sink, was a Shaws one so not cheap. After not much use it developed loads of hairline cracks in the glaze on the inside. Shaws were happy to give me another sink under guarantee but it would mean removing the granite worktops etc or butchering my new cabinets to swap them over which they would not pay for. Never bothered getting a new one, doesn't effect its performance just looks scruffy.

I have never used F&B stuff before myself as I have been using sikkens mostly on things that counts as I really found that company to be just fast fashion brand,however.. there is one big BUT - there are tons of real world samples where they have painted something in one shade or another and you can see instantly if you like it or not.. With the other paints, well you get a tiny speck on a paint can or small 2cm sample on a computer screen and 99% of the time what you actually get is something totally different even from that :D
So that's the only reason why I find it appealing as I won't have to spend hours choosing the shade or testing 10 testers for the actual shade .

+ I can always say that I have F&B paint to impress the hippies :D

Sawdust=manglitter":1alqj7bx said:
I'll be keeping an eye on this post, as in a year or so I plan to make my own kitchen! But I was wondering if anyone's ever bought pre-made birch ply carcasses before? If so, could you point out where from. I'm assuming it would cost quite a bit more than the cheap melamine chipboard carcasses you can get, but would be interested in seeing how much more it would cost?

I couldn't find them. You have to buy the MFC stuff, (which is perfectly good) or get someone to build them for you.

FWIW here's my kitchen build thread:

wip-kitchen-worktops-and-cabinets-t76957-75.html

I have a few friends with Belfast sinks and most people don't recommend them. Generally they end up being positioned too low and aren't great to use.

morfa":1oltiiip said:
I couldn't find them. You have to buy the MFC stuff, (which is perfectly good) or get someone to build them for you.

Thanks Morfa. I'm up for making the carcasses myself but the client (the OH), who can be rather impatient, is worried about the timescales involved in making them so has asked about buying the carcasses! Hence the question.

By the way, i have been through your kitchen WIP, very professional job!

We used to get our paint mixed to a F&B colour, but there was always a slight difference.

We got away with until we had a pain in the backside customer who decided to play silly people over paying his bill.

I always was honest and told the customers we would get the paint mixed and because of different make there may be a slight difference.

Anyway this was the only job in 20 years I have walked away from money on as, it would have cost a fortune to repaint the kitchen.

So what I did was experiment and found a spray gun that would, spray the F&B stuff well.

We now only paint our kitchens with F&B or Dulux Diamond.

It take a bit longer to dry but makes touching up easier after fitting and the customer gets the colour they asked for.

I like the F&B paint but thinking the Dulux is a better product though.

We have tried other makes when asked but try to get customers to go for either F&B or Dulux.

As for compatible fillers and primers Morrells water based primer works well with F&B and Dulux, our paint supplier tints the water based primer for us for the darker colours.

Agree with Custard, Elephants Breath ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The 2 worst we have tried are Crown and Fired Earth.

Sawdust=manglitter":11ycyfp2 said:
morfa":11ycyfp2 said:

Thanks Morfa. I'm up for making the carcasses myself but the client (the OH), who can be rather impatient, is worried about the timescales involved in making them so has asked about buying the carcasses! Hence the question.

By the way, i have been through your kitchen WIP, very professional job!

That's very nice of you to say. However the small photos hide a lot of cockups.

Well as you're just down the road, if you want to see the full wonkyness, you're welcome to pop over. If you look inside the cabs, it's quite easy to see how they've been put together if that helps.

I will start a WIP separately as there seems to be some interest in Painted kitchens at the moment..

Back