How i get my hollow form blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

every now and then I get asked how do I get my blanks for hollow forms and vase's etc

here's a few pictures of me cutting an ash crotch

This crotch was 25" x 25" at its widest point
P1180161.jpg

it’s been stored for a while so the end of the log was discoloured- I cut a couple of inch's of the end to remove splits and reveal the grain which helps me decide how i want to cut it
P1180165.jpg

this one is tricky as the best figured wood is in the centre of the crotch but both piths are also heading for the centre- I decide to cut two 7" square blanks from the middle which will leave me two wedge shaped side piece's
P1180168.jpg

here you can see a overhead view of the section I’m about to remove
P1180170.jpg

the middle section is on the left in this picture and a wedge on the right
P1180171.jpg

here I am marking out the end of the wedges to get the largest blank whilst avoiding the pith
P1180175.jpg

P1180176.jpg

the blanks
P1180178.jpg

Let me know if you enjoyed seeing these as in the next few weeks I’ve got allot of burr oak, burr elm and other logs to process

Always interesting to see how others approach it George, definitely more please for me :)

Cheers, Paul

What Paul said! As a beginner this sort of thing is a real treat to see.
Thanks for sharing George.

hi cornucopia
i really enjoyed seeing these.
this is something i could do with finding out as much as possible about to save money and get more interesting turning blanks.
thanks
paul-c

+1 for what paul c says could not have put it better myself, please keep them coming.

Berns

paulm":bne7e5k7 said:
Always interesting to see how others approach it George, definitely more please for me :)

Cheers, Paul

+1 for me. I have a load of large sycamore pieces to cut, including crotch pieces, so it would be good to see how you deal with a variety of timber stock.

Back