How high should my lathe centre be?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Just popped over from 'Discworld' i.e. the flat side.

I dismantled my Coronet Major because the bench is in need of replacement. I am finally getting around to making the new bench. When the machine was up and running, I had a tablesaw attachment on it. This pretty much dictated the height of the bench. I am retiring the saw table attachment, and will be reassembling the machine solely as a lathe. This means I can have the bed and centres a little higher.

What's the recommended height please? I thought maybe at just above waist height?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in Anticipation. :D

Thank you Blister.

Now I can go measure the castors and cut the legs!

Thank heavens I know my Ahhh .... Nahhh! I won't say it.

:D :D :D

Thanks again

(hammer)

It's extremely important that it should be at exactly elbow height - not a mm higher or a mm lower.

That way the live tailstock centre hits you right on the point of the elbow when you forget to take it out :wink:

Jon

Elbow height is about right BUT...

It all depends on how you present yourself to the lathe, some prefer to have it slightly lower, I prefer it to be 2 inches higher, then my back suffers less from leaning over the lathe!

Try it in several positions before you set it in one place.

Regards Peter.

chipmunk":1ax3ac9g said:
It's extremely important that it should be at exactly elbow height - not a mm higher or a mm lower.

That way the live tailstock centre hits you right on the point of the elbow when you forget to take it out :wink:

Jon

AAaaarh yes I remember it well :evil:

Had an email from Vicmarc Aus. the other day telling me where the new agent for UK and IRL. was going to be and of course I filed it away somewhere never to be found again I think it was a Scottish address. Wont try to give it as there is nothing surer than I would make a horses collor of it. If I find it I will post it.

Seeing this topic caused me to pop out to the workshop and measure the height of my lathe. Years ago I just made up a big solid stand that seemed about right and fixed the lathe to it. I'm not a turner but just use the lathe as part of furniture making.

I found the lathe centre is exactly at the height of my elbow! (hammer)

chipmunk":1elds13o said:

Jon

Yup done that before

I did the same as Roger. Got hold of some decent sized timber offcuts and knocked up a small bench for it to sit on, which felt about right.
Out of interest, I have just been out and looked at mine, its virtually the height of my elbow too.

Might have wanted to be just a shade higher if anything as its a small lathe (RPML300) i tend to look down closely at it, but not so much I need to bed my back.

Hitch"......... Might have wanted to be just a shade higher if anything as its a small lathe (RPML300) i tend to look down closely at it said:
Snap! Great little basic lathe and all cast iron too. :) I've made up a bed extension for occasional use.

Hitch":1sv0lee7 said:
Might have wanted to be just a shade higher if anything as its a small lathe (RPML300) i tend to look down closely at it, but not so much I need to bed my back.

Snap! Great little basic lathe and all cast iron too. :) I've made up a bed extension for occasional use.

Hi John

A couple of tips for you. Elbow hieght is a good guide but alternativly if you turn your back to the machine and stand comfortably, holding a tool as if turning, then turn back to your lathe and compare this position with your actual working height. You may be surprised!

I am 6ft and I like my centres at 4ft.

Hope this helps

Richard

Thanks Roy...

Problem is, the lathe isn't in one piece at the moment. As I said, the height needed for the table-saw attachment was such, that the lathe bed was low. I had to bend my back when using the lathe. I knew I needed to raise it a little, but was unsure of a working height for comfort.

At 5' 11 and a shaving, I think I'll stand it on my work bench temporarily, and try your suggestion. it might work out to be something close to 42" (Which, as it happens, is my elbow height give or take a fraction.)

Thanks again. :D

Latest posts

Back