How hard is sycamore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning a console table with a couple of drawers - table is American Black Walnut, but bought some Sycamore because I really like the colour of it and think it would make a nice contrast for the drawer sides.

Never having used Sycamore before, it seems kinda light. Haven't machined it yet so don't know quite how tough it is. Enough for drawer sides? Proably won't see daily use, but will be opened and closed a few times a week, probably...

TIA, Matthew

matthew":2ustng9p said:
Never having used Sycamore before, it seems kinda light. Haven't machined it yet so don't know quite how tough it is. Enough for drawer sides?
Well David Charlesworth uses it for drawer sides - good enough? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I've gone through around 3 cu.ft. of sycamore over the last two years and it machines nicely and dovetails for your drawers should cut clean with a japanese type saw if doing by hand.

If it's Sycamore from Britain [and Europe in general] it is a Maple, so it's great wood for drawers.

If it is an American species [as your Walnut is], then while it is a different, it is great to use also.

Take care, Mike

Matthew
Sycamore is a fave timber of mine-a real pleasure to work!!
It will look fantastic with the Walnut.
Enjoy,
Philly :D

Matthew,

I have used it a number of times for drawer sides, and I recently used it and rippled Sycamore to build a Kitchen, so IMHO, yes it will be perfect for your needs.

Regards

Woody

Matt,

Excellent choice. In my experience, its one of the finest woods of all to work with.

Regards Aldel

Fab, thanks to all for the replies! I've been wanting to make something from sycamore for ages, but this is the first time i've actually got round to it.

Last few things I've made have been of oak, so I was quite surprised at how light (in weight) the sycamore seems in comparison! But it looks great and I think it will make a good touch to the drawers.

And I'm a big fan of Japanese saws, never got on well with a western eg tenon saw, but love cutting DTs etc by hand. Only problem is, they are so handy that I end up using them for things I shouldn't and knacker the blade!

Matt
Sycamore is a fine grained timber, very different to oak (it being a very "open pore" kinda timber). It really shines when you plane it!
Jap saws are good, so sharp out of the box. But if you used a good western style tenon saw you might change your mind. The Jap saws buckle way too easily. Or maybe I'm just clumsy? :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Back