How Good is Your Mobile Phone as an Angle Gauge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel Taylor

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I set up a surface table and a sine bar to compare a Samsung phone to a Wixey angle gauge:

wixey-samsung-06.jpg

wixey-samsung-05.jpg

The phone came out slightly better. Samsung A71 +/-0.12° and Wixey angle gauge +/-0.22°

You can trust both for most measurements.

can I play MP3s on the Wixey though?

:)

sorry, not funny I know.

it's a theoretical error given the averaging and i'd have said you'd be better to give to 1dp rather than 2 because of that, so 0.1 and 0.2 deviation.

you wouldn't trust either in a tight tolerance application (aviation and the like) but for the homeshop, perfectly acceptable.

Thanks for having a play (my wixey is sat on my desk right now from testing a guitar headstock break angle)

misread the thread title, thought you found an app to turn into into an angle GRINDER. slightly disappointed now

oh dear, some very off topic comments, trying to bring it back to reality:

The useful thing here is that if you are desperate for a level or angle gauge you can easily strap your phone to a length (ideally square) tube, calibrate it to zero on the ground and then create a level to the ground or an angle to the ground. The result will be quite accurate.

Back