How flat is your table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsetwilly

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, well after much lurking and homework I've just joined the ranks of SIP saw owners (01332). Got it secondhand, and just poking around it it seems in fairly good condition apart from two things. Firstly, the table is slightly bowed front to back, to the left of the blade, by about 0.4mm (just eyeing it with a straight edge) - reckon it'll cause problems? Secondly, the mitre tracks are not the same width! The right one is fractionally wider, again by about half a mil. Anyone else seen this? I don't think I'll want to swap things between the tracks v often, but I am a bit surprised that the machining tolerances aren't tighter than that!

Do I just have a duff table or is that par for the course with these? I was in two minds about walking away but it was a good price and I don't have the time for window shopping!

Par for the course willy. If, like me, you use sleds for any accurate work it won't bother you. As regards the mitre slot mine was 'out' as well, file and emery cloth sorted that.

Roy.

They are pretty cheap saws, so don't expect too much, especially on a second hand one.

bob, I guess you're right. Was tempted to look for a lump of old iron but just wanted to get something that works, rather than a project.

Roy, I'm impressed! Personally the idea of filing 0.5mm out of the mitre slot fills me with trepidation - I mean, the whole point of a table saw is perfectly straight cuts...but I guess it's the only way. How did you scribe/mark a line so close to the lip of the slot?

Sorry about the late reply willy, but I've been in hospital.
It's not that difficult actually, just take a course rasp to one side then clean up with Emery cloth on a piece of wood. Unless you need it done immediately, do it as you feel like doing it.
Unless the slot is curved, the taper is effectively on one side only. From a practical view point a sloppy fit bar will do a perfectly good job as long as you move the sled with the bar moving against the same side each time.

Roy.

Back