How does one construct a metal shed with no instructions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you get it assembled, would you take a few minutes to tell us what size it is and how you rate it for strength, rigidity etc?

Mine was for an external log boiler room and it was very strong as I added an internal stud frame and bolted it to the concrete slab (and sealed to it) but the sliding doors were rubbish. I sold it on eBay after about 4 years as we moved over to an internal wood pellet boiler.

20151130_132110.jpg

Yardmaster Model 68GHZ2 Many thanks.
I bought a Yardmaster last year and with the instructions it took me 2 days - not blindingly obvious. They were good at supplying a missing part, so I would imagine they will supply instructions. As already said there are a few vids on YT for yardmaster. Well worth watching. You will need some insulation for the condensation inside the roof. Good luck

Many thanks, at the rate my wife collects toys for the grandchildren we will need more shelves.
I didn't fancy fixing shelves to the shed walls so built a simple U shape of shelves down both sides and across back at about 1200 high so lawnmower, scarifier, spades, rakes etc fit underneath. put a double shelf on one side. Gets Jet wash, fence paint and tools I rarely use out of my workshop. Mine has gutters but that just puts all the rainwater in two places. Using buckets at moment until I think of a solution that won't look awful

Looking at the photo of the boiler-house above it always seems to be the crappy slideing doors that fail on metal sheds, our daughter bought two over the years, I think Argos was doing them(?) and I remember them having issues with the doors,,jumping off the runners and heavy handed use resulting in them getting bent and buckled, given that the doors are larger than the opening perhaps cutting them down and making a frame so that they become regular doors might be possible on old sheds? Just idle thoughts as I think my daughters husband scrapped them both after just a few years because of this issue, a terrible waste really.
Steve.

To be fair I did fall against them after losing my balance once 🥴 which caused the dents, but they were still awful to use, really tinny and jammed all the time. I was planning to replace them with timber ones but then we replaced the boiler so had no use for it.

I used to have a Brother in law who did 2000 piece jigsaw's from the back!
No offence intended, just saying. 😁

The above experiences are worrying but the sheds do carry a guarantee.
Mmm a friend bought a watch once, it was said to have a lifetime guarantee,,when the mainspring went it slashed his wrist!,,,
a silly joke and Im just teasing, apologies,,
Steve.

These type of sheds are built to a very tight budget. In my previous job, I ran a prototyping sheet metal workshop.. We did a number of shed prototypes but the problem is they are working to really tight margins so they cut corners at all opportunities. The steel gauge is too thin, the paint coatings are the cheapest available, the brackets and guide rails etc are far to thin and the whole structure is extremely flimsy. As an uninsulated build they also suffer from condensation (simply sticking old polystyrene ceiling tiles on the inside works quite well (not considering fire)
Much cheaper and better to use treated 4 X 2 and OSB board.

We were using a 20 year old wooden shed as a chicken house protected from Rats by digging a trench round it and filling it with broken glass, next door is a formidable drinker. The run was constructed on top of two layers of close size wire netting. A rat recently managed to find a way round the broken glass and so I demolished the wooden shed and laid a four inch concrete pad upon which I intend to bolt the metal shed once I have confidence enough to follow the construction video. I feel much fitter after all that work.

I built mine on a 4 inch concrete slab, no rat without a disc cutter could ever get in...but rain can, so seal those joints!

Back