How do you store your rasps and files?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"How do you store" could be a whole forum: nails, hinges, screws, empty beer bottles, underpants.... limitless topics!!
Could run and run!

Cut a load of 1.5” plastic tubing into 1’ (maybe a bit longer) lengths and glue them onto a board…then more on top etc…so it works like a wine rack…slip the files inside..

people keep knitting needles in knitted hedgehogs. :unsure:
Perhaps do something similar in wood, a handy shaped lump with holes drilled in it?
Eyes and nose optional!

Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 12.37.52.png

I only have a dozen or so files, but I hang them on a magnetic tool strip thingy bought from Lidl. You cant have enough of those tool strips, and one attached to a worn out broom makes the perfect magnet-on-a-stick for when you drop a box of screws on the floor. Chainsaw files live in the "Chainsaw Box" with all the other chainsaw paraphernalia and are treated with contempt, but replaced every November so it's not important to be nice to them.

I throw all my files into a metal tub, so they are all in the same place and I know where to find them

I'm trying to work my way up to something like this

Just for @Adam W. to drool over lol

Digging the viking outfit Droogs.....very inspiring.

I do seem to be developing a bit of an expensive Auriou habit, so I might have to construct a suitable storage solution for them. At the moment they have a temporary home in a till in my new spangly tool chest.

I keep mine in a heap in a drawer, along with a lot of other rammel.
Me too, and don't have trouble with files blunting, however the rammel's now in a right mess.

Even so - a nicely organised display of files (maybe without the gothick fol-de-rols) would be good for quick access of the best for the job - definitely not all expensive new hand-stitched as different types work in different situations.

--- just fitted a new cat flap, didn't want to go microchip hi-tec, but when neighbour cats started coming in for a feed, action was needed - to fit the new one had to enlarge the hole, with - first a decades old Japanese hacksaw-blade rasp, then a straight milled bodywork file, then an old but sharp Sheff hand-stitched cabinetmakers rasp. The first shot through wood on its coarse side much faster than any hand-stitched, the second straightened the edges and got into the corners and the third smoothed it off, but was slower. If the wood (tropical hardwood) had been different, a different combo might have worked better.

Now to persuade the cat to go hitec - like me, it's resistant.

Last edited:
Now to persuade the cat to go hitec - like me, it's resistant.
I learned the hard way (we've been through about 3 chip-reading flaps now) it's easiest to train the flap to the cat(s) *before* you fit it. That's an obvious-when-you-think-about-it thing but I never thought about it until it was too late 🤠

I learned the hard way (we've been through about 3 chip-reading flaps now) it's easiest to train the flap to the cat(s) *before* you fit it. That's an obvious-when-you-think-about-it thing but I never thought about it until it was too late 🤠
I tried that first, she's usually placid except when playing tigers or mouse/rat catching,, but when faced with putting her head in a plastic tunnel she resisted so much she knocked off the cover and the batteries went flying.

Back