How do you store your hand planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an insulated but un-heated shed which has a small dessicant dehumidifier running in it all the time. It isn’t always toasty warm in there but since I got the dehumidifier it’s never damp. I keep all my bench planes on the shelf under my bench so they are within easy reach. Rebate and grooving planes are kept in a drawer nearby (they have fences and cutters that need to be kept together). Here is a pic I never would have shared if I hadn’t had a big tidy up at the weekend:
zcZ5iK9.jpg

You would have seen a sea of shavings and little off cuts if I had taken that on Saturday :) . No problems with rust whatsoever I’m glad to report. My experience would point to insulation and a dehumidifier being more useful at keeping the rust monster at bay than heating but ymmv.

Memzey; You don't fool me.
I think you are just making excuses for the fact you just collect planes, and don't do any work in your shop! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now me, lately I haven't done any real work in the shop, but it's still a mess! :mrgreen:

Cheers
John

I do run a dehumidifier (desiccant) on auto over the winter / cold months. It helps to keep the temperature up as well. Partly why this has confused me - it always helped to keep rust at bay until now. The only thing I can think that has changed the temperature in my own space is I fitted a double glazed window January last year - it's well sealed in the frame and I had no issues at the time but this may be my culprit.

Strangely I find the new planes are more affected than the older ones. I have a fair few old Stanley's as well (types 8 to 11 generally) and these are okay. The newer planes are the ones affected and these are not cheap metal.

Woody2Shoes":3emq886w said:

Possibly a factor in my case, but unlikely unless I'm missing something obvious. I'm aware of it and do note the local weather for temperature as well as dew points (I need to know for other aspects beyond my own workshop). I run a dehumidifier along with a separate gauge, humidity levels are never an issue. My workshop, despite changes in temp have never been low, certainly not lower than the local dew point at any given time. That said, I'm seeing rust where I hadn't before.

If I ever find out what is going on and it's possibly relevant to others I'll report back.

Benchwayze":1rhaamps said:
Memzey; You don't fool me.
I think you are just making excuses for the fact you just collect planes, and don't do any work in your shop! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now me, lately I haven't done any real work in the shop, but it's still a mess! :mrgreen:

Cheers
John
Not a collector of bench planes John, just a cack handed user of them! Although I must admit that the infills are an indulgence rather than a necessity, they are still great in use.

memzey":17ed8knw said:
Not a collector of bench planes John, just a cack handed user of them! Although I must admit that the infills are an indulgence rather than a necessity, they are still great in use.

Is the smaller of the bench planes a 3 or a 2?

phil.p":3lx7c71v said:
Assuming the one on the right is an eight , it's a three. :D

I couldn't make out the end plane on a mobile screen. My best guess was 8, 7, 6, 5.5, 5, 4.4, 4, 3 but wasn't sure. Now I think about it, it's obvious.

Have to admit, I have a thing for three's. Got a full type 11 run apart from the 5 1/4 and a 1. Have a No 2 but that was a dumb purchase and will be on the bay soon - too small to be practical whereas the three is just about right.

Right to left it’s 8, 7, 6, 5 1/2, 5, 4 1/2, 4 and 3. I could certainly get by with fewer planes but surprisingly enough they all get used and each has its niche.
How about some photos of how planes are stored from you guys?

Some are in a cupboard under the bench, some are on shelves, some are in boxes, some are in flight cases :)

Attachments

• IMG_4184C.jpg
    IMG_4184C.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 488
memzey":13qds8es said:
Very snazzy! Did you make them all?

Thanks Memzey, yes I made them all. Here is another storage solution: a Record 050 in a WW2 Air Ministry box that once held photographic paper.

Attachments

• IMG_4859C.jpg
    IMG_4859C.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 406
Here’s my work in progress. Got sick of having tools in trunks and under everything. Sort of tool rack/display case. More work to do though. Cheers from Australia.

Attachments

• 33B408A3-C394-4206-BE0B-6C2B852CC30C.jpeg
    33B408A3-C394-4206-BE0B-6C2B852CC30C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 329
Back