How do you store your drill bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roland

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are in a variety of plastic boxes, where they rub up against each other. Boxes are quite useful when doing jobs outside of the workshop, but just take up shelf space inside. Finding the right size isn’t easy, particularly if the shaft isn’t clearly marked. So I thought I’d make a rack attached to the workshop wall beside my pillar drill. Is this good practice, and if so what are the collective thoughts on design?

I keep sets in drill indexes by the drill - jobbers in metric and imperial and one of brad points. Loose ones go roughly sorted in a drawer.

One good idea I’ve seen for HSS drill bits was a small set of drawers with corrugated card (the sort they use for packing) lining the bottom of the drawers corrugations upwards with the drill bits resting in these.
The card kept the drills in place & as the chap had quite a few of each size bit he marked pen lines on the card to indicate which size was in which section.

if you do a Google search for vintage drill stands you get to see pretty remarkable stands that used to be available may give some ideas.
mine are in stands by type and size but only made of mdf

Roland":3638bx5d said:
a rack attached to the workshop wall beside my pillar drill. Is this good practice?
Must be good practice - it's what I have!
A vertical batten with holes drilled in for each drill with sizes felt tip penned alongside.
Brian

I have 2 drill indexes screwed to the wall next to the lathe, one set is for rough work, one set is for more precision work. In my tool bag I also have a drill index.
Regular use lathe bits are on a magnetic strip for fast access.

The rest of my drills are stored in drawers, usually in boxes to protect them. Forstners are in individual boxes and I made a little wooden index for my step/unibit drills.

I made wooden trays that hang under my workbench for my metal and wood bits (I did not see the need for a masonry bits at present) I also did one for my router bits but thats anohter story!

IMG_7528.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7528.JPG
    IMG_7528.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 953
  • IMG_7533.JPG
    IMG_7533.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 589
I have a set like this, that I just hang on a screw (open like in the picture). If I need the set, I can then easily close it up and take it off the wall.

41J6Uih8MSL._AC_.jpg

I have a handful of commonly used bits on magnetic bars with odd sizes pointing up and even ones pointing down. Makes them easy to find and quick to switch between. My good bits are in Trend pouches, sets are in the cases they came in and large ones hanging in the tubes... i.e. all awaiting a better means of storing them.

Stacey":m0lg0vx2 said:
I made wooden trays that hang under my workbench for my metal and wood bits (I did not see the need for a masonry bits at present) I also did one for my router bits but thats anohter story!

These are beautiful!

jobbers live in an index, spade and brad live in a blow modeled case and fostners live in a wooden box.
scrap and broken bits are in an MDF box in a draw beneath the drill press along with oddities like pilot and hole bits that have been ground to do a job and plug cutters etc.
new are stored in drill boxes in a draw beneath that all marked for size.
SDS live with the drill in a fatmax sorter box along with new screwdriver bits. big SDS live in a tool box along with other "heavy building" stuff. masonry are in a drill box unsorted but as I only seem to use 7 and 8mm that isn't a major issue.
brace bits live with the brace. hole saws are in a parts bin, most still in their cardboard for protection, carbide hole saws are in another box along with big coreing bits.

pipper me I've got a lot of drill bits, thanks for reminding me of this fact. :)

The most useful workshop attachment I ever made! `the main issue with graded holders is that one often has more than one of a given bit. So I have several deep of each size. Main metric sizes are marked accordingly, and fractional sizes in between are put in the intermediate holes. Any drill size is easy to find. I used hardwood (teak floorboard), so the holes are good enough to act as a gauge, eg for screw clearance sizes. At the left are holes for spade drills, which are few enough that they don't need labels.

drills - 1.jpg

Ooooh, I made a drill till, my first ever, just a few days ago. I'll fit the hinges when they arrive tomorrow, post some photos, and you can all marvel at how few bits I actually have........ ;)

:p In this case that will work.

I just have small, not as small, medium, bigger than medium, fairly big, and the biggest I can fit in the drill. Then I have to use the vernier every time to make sure I have the size I want.:cool:

Back