How do you set up your morticer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've now cut a load of Mortices successfully on the 3/4 fox morticer after a lot of strife! I found a combination of very small 'nibbles' quite successful. I also set the bit much further out from the chisel than a lot of instructions I've read (like in the Axminster catalogue).

So I was wondering - how far from the chisel do you set your bits (2mm - 4mm ??).

Ahh the good old days of morticers.... Pre-Leigh FMT <vroom> I set the bit around 4mm from the chisel for most woods.

A two pence piece, the thickness of, minimum. Depending on your chisel and bit maybe a little more, but try experimenting.

Noel

As above. I also now use a Trend router depth gauge to set the fence both for depth and square, saves me a lot of time.

I asked this initially as I also used the 2p trick - but in Maple it just didn't hack it as it kept jamming and burning (even with the lightest pressure and carefull handling). I found I had to set it 2-3x the 2p setting. I guess the density and hardness of the wood has a direct bearing on this?

Ah that's interesting Charley - he recommends a £1 coin for the Japanese style bit as I have - only trouble is I don't have any £1 coins - spent them all on the workshop !!! ;)

Latest posts

Back