How do you repair the laptop computer transformer lead pleas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My neighbour has brought in her transformer lead for her laptop.

The insulation on the low voltage end is damaged and it arcs, her husband has put some insulation tape to cover but she thinks a connector would do a better job.

Is the low voltage end cable anything special, will wires solder together and solder to a pin socket connector do you think?

Hi,

Some use Coax cable for the lead so it can be tricky to solder a new plug on the end, and the orignal moulded plugs do a good job of holding everything together.

Have a look how much a relacement PSU is.

Pete

The lower power end which comes out of the transformer is a fixture and I dont think I can pull it out, also the plug that goes into the laptop is a L shaped connector and most probably coaxial?

The transformer does not show any specification so difficult to look for a replacement?

I paid about £18 on Ebay for a new power supply for my laptop.

Just put the make and model of the lap top in, the transformer should have the input and out put power on it.

Tom

Even if it is a coax cable you should still be able to solder it without detriment, after all its already soldered at the ends!
I'd cut the cable completely strip back an inch or three and separate the cores. cut to length, put over heatshrink (dont forget the big piece to cover the two smaller pieces that cover the joins #-o ), twiddle cores together, solder, slide HS over, shrink, repeat with other core. Stagger your joints like the pic (wrong cable i know but the methods the same.)

CrimpStaggerJoint.jpg

so if ever the heatshrink or tape become damaged the bare wires still wont touch. Heatshrink will make the job neater if youve got any.

similar job guide here http://www.howtogeek.com/66124/how-to-f ... io-cables/

Thanks all, I will give it a go, if I come unstuck she can use my transformer until a new one comes back. Its the same spec.

Spec. sorted, I dont know how I missed it, must have turned over the transformer case twice! :oops:

Looks pretty standard. 19v 3.42A output.

Had a look earlier this morning and it looks like it co axial, so polarity would not be the problem, but I dont think I could make a neat reconnection.

If it's a Macbook lead, Apple will probably replace it FOC. Mine went and I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one.

I would buy a new Laptop. (But then, on my drive I have three Rolls Royce cars all with full ashtrays!) :roll:

Hat-Coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Door!

Steve Blackdog":1ep7r85j said:
If it's a Macbook lead, Apple will probably replace it FOC. Mine went and I took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one.

Well if you are paying twice the price for a laptop, I suppose they will :wink:

Pete

I had Dell one do this after the cat chewed it, It was audibly arcing couldn't see it though. I messed about with it but it's not worth the bother just buy a new one of Ebay..thats why there are so many on Ebay because it's very common problem.
Be warned that the input protection on the input to the motherboard can fail and you will be left as the man who fixed it and the you own the problem. Definately not worth the agro.

Alan

Latest posts

Back