How do you rate Charnwood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewbullie

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm exploring different manufacturers of equipment and don't have a massive budget. One of the makes I have come across is Charnwood who have some nice promotional videos of the lathe and spindle moulder on their site.

I would appreciate any feedback from people who have had dealings with this equipment as it looks nicely made and seems to be very reasonable in price.

Many thanks

Andrew

Me too, I fancy that spindle moulder that you can use as a router!

On the whole andrew I think its decent kit, I don't have any of it myself but a lot of the basic machinery is all made in the same factory in china just with different colour schemes. For instance SIP do the same version of that Spindle moulder. Axminster, SIP, Fox and Charnwood and others all have products that are almost identical. Regardless of make, you get what you pay for!

Been wondering about them myself, thinking about getting their w730 bandsaw. Only putting off getting it due to almost no reviews or opinions of the saw or the brand online.

Just look on the axminster site, you will find the same machines there. Plus there may be some user reviews :)

Actually the W730 bandsaw doesn't have a direct equivalent at Axminster as far as I can tell - that's the main reason a brand I know nothing about is tempting me. The W730 is under £500 with a 1100W motor, 9 inch cutting depth and 14inch max cut width. When I first saw it I think the nearest equivalent on those stats is about half again as much at Axminster... I may be wrong tho, they have just changed their catalogue.

On the other hand, you may not have been speaking to me at all, but the fella that opened the thread... In which case, I'll just slink away quietly...

Do you really need a Spindle Moulder?

I'd get a big old 2000w Triton like this and build a table and this will do everything you need to do for half the price and not a lot of loss when you come to sell it

Yeah had that Triton and built a table. Its not really the same as a spindle moulder at all. Chalk and cheese. When your working with large panel raising bits you are literally on the edge of the routers capacity, you need to take multiple passes. But a spindle moulder capable of taking router bits will do it in a single pass. Then of course it can take all its own large moulding cutters. You'll always need a router table, a spindle doesn't replace a router they are just good at different things.

selly":2e7unm6d said:
Do you really need a Spindle Moulder?

I'd get a big old 2000w Triton like this and build a table and this will do everything you need to do for half the price and not a lot of loss when you come to sell it

I wish you well with the triton but you are just so wrong :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A Router will do a some of the things a spindle moulder will do only a lot slower and usually with more noise but when you have used a spindle for any length of time you quickly realise just how much better it is

I was looking at the chranwood range off tools and at the time i was struggling to find reviews on tere bandsaw and spindle moulder but then a good geal come up and i bought a deft spindle moulder and i have to say it is a excellent piece of kit very heavy,stable and powerfull.
It come with a seperate spindle you can change to when you want to use it as a large router takes 1/4 and 1/2 inch router bits it takes about five mins to change over i have not had the need use it yet moulder does everything so far.

Back