How do you organise scrap wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to be drowning in odd pieces of wood. I'm inclined to keep even the smallest pieces and do find that I often end up using them.

I have the "main pile" - sorta stacked up against the wall - panels and lengths all mixed together. Will eventually put some brackets on the wall and some panel storage below to deal with most of this.

Then I have an old kitchen bin with 3ft ish lengths of all sorts in it.

Then I have a builders bag, overflowing with smaller offcuts.

Then there's the smaller bits that don't fit in the bin or the bag and linger in various places around my workshop.

Anyone have an smart solutions to this mess?

Cheers

Hi Matt

I'm finding it difficult to throw away the small off-cuts. I've learned that I'll always have off cuts - even if I do have a clear out.....they'll soon build up again.

Wood burning stove is my solution.

Cheers

Howard

Howjoe":2k7lkd18 said:
Wood burning stove is my solution.
I will second that. :D
I keep all of the saw dust and planning’s during the summer, sacks of the stuff, its the heat for the shop in the winter. \:D/
I collect fire wood, some of which never makes it in to the stove. [-(
But when I have just spilt the bag/box of small of cuts for the umpteenth time :x into the burner they go. :whistle:

Matt,

Without doubt the best use I've seen was posted here by Aldel.

See this post: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=

group.JPG

group1.JPG

Adam

I chuck them in a bag when they get too small to use and then we burn them on cool summer evenings sitting and reading by the chimnea

I like Adam's solution better though :shock:

Tony":rfwfiwzv said:

Whooaa, not "my solution" - its Aldels. I just thought it was worth reminding people of his original post (and the pictures he took of his efforts). They are also on his website as well.

Adam

The wood that most people regard as scrap is my standard stock. One example is this offcut of hornbeam that a 'proper' woodworker gave me because it was too small for him to use:
8ab0710e.jpg

Such scrap as I do have goes into a carrier bag and is put out with the rest of the household rubbish when the dustbin men call.

Sometimes I feel like a womble: "Making good use of the things that we find, things that the everyday folks leave behind..."

;)

Gill

Adam":jq85j7y8 said:
Tony":jq85j7y8 said:

Whooaa, not "my solution" - its Aldels. I just thought it was worth reminding people of his original post (and the pictures he took of his efforts). They are also on his website as well.

Adam

Oops, sorry Aldel :oops:

Same as you lot, I keep re-using it until it goes on the fire, the dust and shavings either light the fire or keep a rabbit warm

Bean

Racking for the big bits.
Boards stood against the wall.
Shelves for the small bits.
Woodshavings get bagged to burn later.

And when all that gets full,I have to throw some out :(

I try and keep the scraps seperated into type of wood. Use beer can trays (never run out), mark the tray clearly, and then stack in corner.
Needs a good clean up at least once a year. The very SMALL bits end up in the compost heap. So in the garden you could come across bits of Oak, Kiaat, Saligna, Pine, Beech etc.
:D

I went the Aldal route :D :D and made a heap of door stops and animals to give away. (see other post) Have now actually run out of good scrap material.
Phil
:D

I keep all my scrap wood in a large box under the extension of my tablesaw. Sometimes I get some firewood out of there, but more often my two children are faster and use the offcuts for their own little projects - like building tables and chairs for their barby dolls and so on.

And often the scrap box is handy for me to - to pick up some of the offcuts as clamping blocks or for small projects. Maybe it's a bit early yet, but for example this Christmas nativity scene has been completely built from scrapwood.

Ulrich

Weihnachtskrippe_1_kompr.jpg

Hi Ulrich - Where in Germany are you (East, West,?) Also any ideas why the little icon vanished when I clicked on it :?:

Hi Ulrich

I don't know which part of Germany you hail from or what sort of woodwork you produce, but it's always been an ambition of mine to visit the Erzegebirge and see the wonderful Christmas pyramids which come from that part of the world. I keep promisng myself that one day I'll make one.

Losos, you can't be too far away from my woodwork Nirvana either :) .

Gill

The wood that most people regard as scrap is my standard stock

Know where your coming from with that, i know a lot of joinery manufacturers, and i often get there 'scrap' wood to use as my good stuff.

The offcuts from my offcuts gets piled in the corner of workshop, to use as jaws for clamps,wedges etc.

My fire wood for the chimnea comes from old pallets at work.

Matt.

Thank you all for the nice comments on my way to get rid of scrapwood. The icon in my post should not have been there - it seems, freenet.de had some problems yesterday evening - I could not see the picture myself. But now - in the morning - it's visible again.

As for my location, Gill: I am living near Nuernberg - so it's from my home still some kilometres to go to your woodworking nirwana. And as for my woodworking: Mainly I build in my spare time furniture for my family and some friends, but sometimes I like doing such small work like the nativity scene, too. I have begun this one frome beech scrap wood some years ago as a Christmas present for my wife and each year I rubbish into my scrap box and make one or to new figures for her.

Ulrich

Hi,

I use this for off cuts,

cca643a8.jpg
[/img]

Its a plan from Wood magazine. Two vertical storage area at the rear. different depth shelves in the front, all on casters. Still needs the ply edgeing and a couple of coats of finish on. Works really well :D .

Neil

Back